Chat Folder Archive

Archives: November 2000

Subject: Rockline/Chicago

Hey You People,

What a rip-off. CD 94.7 in Chicago changed formats today from Classic Rock to all 80's. So it's very doubtful we'll get to hear "Rockline". The station played a lot of America, especially "Ventura Highway" and "Sandman". Large bummer!!!!!! I guess there's always the web.

Peace
Joe B

P.S. Maybe the 'new' station will at least play "Magic".

P.P.S. The song "Dance" on the new Peace CD is amazing!.

P.P.P.S. The album sleeve says "Dance" was inspired by the life story of Karla Faye Tucker - Ken or Brian - a little more info if possible.

P.P.P.P.S. How 'bout those Bears, Bulls, and Blackhawks?

Subject: Hey Howard..

You did it? You quit AOL? Well, I'm sorry to say that I have not..My son switched to Mindspring for his computer. I, however, am a creature of comfort..dislike disruption, any unneccesary change..(probably why I have been with the same company for so long)..speaking of which..I think Delta flies to Grand Cayman folks..don't know rates..it's the one perk that keeps me there I guess)..anyway, for those who go I understand it is a great place!
So Howard..did you get your new wheels last weekend??

Subject: Re:Political Lyrics For Tomorrow???

Well Leaky, your feelings like a lot of others on this whole mess is perhaps summarized with Gerry's one lyric as mentioned before:

Red and blue, I want to like a hole in the head

Message: 14629 Posted: Thu Nov 30 16:25:48 2000 By: AmericaSL
Subject: Re: new email address

As a reformed AOL-aholic, I can say that it's worth the pain (and the money savings). The only reason I was on AOL anyway was to visit the America message board but after creating this Chat Folder for all of the non-AOLers, there really wasn't much need to keep it. I've been off of AOL for over 6 months now, and I don't miss it (or need it) at all. (Sorry for the soap boxy AOL bashing message - I realize that a lot of you are still using AOL and like it).

Subject: Re: new email address

Good luck Howard. Getting rid of AOL is like cleaning glass off a carpet. You just can't get it all. It's pograms latch onto everything. One time it actually crashed my modem (it couldn't detect a phone line any longer). AOL is the internet version of Big Brother.

I do like the Instant Messenger thing though (-: My ID is MDBShayne if anyone is interested.

Shayne
Some will be taken and some will remain...

Message: 14627 Posted: Thu Nov 30 12:52:55 2000 By: Leakycanoe
Subject: Re:Political Lyrics For Tomorrow???

Sorry Johnny but I have become ill with what is going on in regards to this election. I think tomorrow I will go for a long walk and focus on smaller but equally important things. My Lyrics for tomorrow would have to be "All Around":
"First break in the day if the time
Is right and nobody minds
I stroll down the lane take a breath
Of air and drift on a dream
I look to the sun
As the day is warming
Consider the things
That have happened before
I feel like I'm one
With the wind on the hillside
I feel like I'm one with the
River that runs by my door"

Subject: Political Lyrics For Tomorrow???

With tomorrow's US Supreme Court hearing and the colors, red and blue (red for Gore and blue for Bush), perhaps these lyrics from Gerry's "Monster" are appropriate:

Heart, COURT, and harmony just ain't the same
My black and their green playing some games

Red and blue, I want to like a hole in the head
It slopes in the middle and is stopping them dead

Subject: Re: Another single???

Mark and everyone, Killing Joke is the name of the band. The song title is "America". Easily mistaken.

Subject: Another single???

I found a single for sale on ebay credited to America, that I have never heard of before. It is listed as: Killing Joke - America (EG Records EG040) PS.

Anybody ever heard of it? The web page is at
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=510283020

Message: 14623 Posted: Thu Nov 30 07:59:34 2000 By: AmericaSL
Subject: More Rockline Information

The show goes live at 8:30 PM PST/11:30 PM ET every Wednesday. The toll free number for people to call in is 1 800 344 ROCK (7625). The show is heard on 130 stations across the country. Or people can tune in via the web. And see the show at www.Rocklineradio.com. Here is a list of the radio stations that simulcast on the net every Wednesday.

WWW.KTGL.com (Lincoln, NE)
WWW.CD947.com (Chicago, IL)
www.wmgk.com (Philadelphia, PA)
www.wour.cc (Utica, NY)
WWW.kgon.com (Portland, OR)
www.KCGQ.com (Cape Girardeau, Missouri)
www.KBUS.com (Paris, TX)
www.wapl.com (Green Bay, WI)
www.GATER.com (West Palm Beach)
www.WFWI.com (Fort Wayne, IN)
www.WKLC.com (Charleston, West Virginia)
www.wroq.com (Greenville, SC)
www.961therocket.com (Mobile, AL, WKRH)
www.1059.com (WNRQ - Nashville)
www.wtpa.com (WTPA - Harrisburg, PA)
www.KZPS.com (KZPS - Dallas, TX)
www.WXLT.com (WXLT - Carbondale, IL)
www.101kgb.com (KGB - San Diego)
www.kshe95.com (KSHE - ST. Louis)
www.kktx.com (KKTX - Tyler/Longview, TX)
www.q106.com (WQBZ - Macon, GA)
www.kkrw.com (KKRW - Houston, TX)
www.bigdog979.com (KXDG - Joplin, MO)
www.rock103.com (WEGR - Memphis)
www.kjez.com (KJEZ - Poplar Bluff MO)
www.95x.com (WAQX - Syracuse, NY)
www.wtue.com (WTUE - Dayton, OH)
www.wklt.com (WKLT/WKLZ - Traverse City, MI)
www.wxrgfm.com (WXRG - Biloxi, MS)
www.point97.com (KXPT - Las Vegas)

Message: 14622 Posted: Thu Nov 30 07:39:10 2000 By: Howard Lieboff
Subject: new email address

Hello, hope all is well. It's pretty much back to day to day
activity after all what my family and I have been through.
Well, I finally did it. Cancelled AOL and I was forewarned by
my fellow employees that you'll have a hard time doing so.
And sure enough, it was like being treated by the gestapo.
Unreal. Fighting, yelling and more fighting. unreal. Not worth it
at all. Anyway, my new email address is hlieboff59@yahoo.com
AOL IM name is hlieboff1959. I'm using some of the free internet
services like netzero and the simpsons. Take care, HL

Message: 14621 Posted: Thu Nov 30 07:07:06 2000 By: Steve Nelson
Subject: Lucky

So my buddy has a convention in Florida last week. He comes back and says to me. "Oh by the way, America played at our banquet-dance last week. I never knew they sang all those songs. They were great!"

Why can't I be so lucky!!!!

I haven't been able to add much to this folder as I am busy with a new job but I do check up now and then.

Happy Holidays!
Nellie

Message: 14620 Posted: Thu Nov 30 03:30:45 2000 By: Brandon Rose
Subject: Wassup For 2001?

Hello all, I've been around, but mostly lurking. With the new year fast approaching a few thoughts recently came to me. Highway and another non-stop touring schedule made 2000 another successful year for America. So what's in the hopper for 2001? I'm guessing at least another non-stop touring schedule. Whcih is always great news. But more importantly, will there be a release of any new material? If so, will it be with Oxygen Records? And will they be able to properly promote it? It's a shame Oxygen Records didn't keep the momentum generated by Human Nature and the single From A Moving Train going with the release of another single. Hindsight is 20-20, but I think we would all agree, there was enough dynamite material on Human Nature warranting at least another single too be released. Let's hope 2001 is even bigger and better for our heroes both recording and touring.

Brandon

Message: 14619 Posted: Thu Nov 30 03:30:42 2000 By: Brandon Rose
Subject: Wassup For 2001?

Hello all, I've been around, but mostly lurking. With the new year fast approaching a few thoughts recently came to me. Highway and another non-stop touring schedule made 2000 another successful year for America. So what's in the hopper for 2001? I'm guessing at least another non-stop touring schedule. Whcih is always great news. But more importantly, will there be a release of any new material? If so, will it be with Oxygen Records? And will they be able to properly promote it? It's a shame Oxygen Records didn't keep the momentum generated by Human Nature and the single From A Moving Train going with the release of another single. Hindsight is 20-20, but I think we would all agree, there was enough dynamite material on Human Nature warranting at least another single too be released. Let's hope 2001 is even bigger and better for our heroes both recording and touring.

Brandon

Message: 14618 Posted: Wed Nov 29 17:30:27 2000 By: AmericaSL
Subject: Re: concert info

Larry, your best bet is to keep checking the America Fans concert page at gigs00.htm to see what the current schedule is. However, I must warn you that ALL concerts are subject to change so you need to be flexible.

Subject: concert info

hi i am irish and have not see america live in concert
2001 will be my year so i need help
where will be the best place to see same
any concerts in europa or east coast
i am an old fan
anyone out there to help

larrym@eircom.net

Subject: Re: Two great places to have a concert

John,
This past August 24, I ssaw the boys at DEWEY BEACH, Delaware.

ANDY

Subject: Wednesday nite chat

I am unable, due to parental responsibilities, to join you all tonite ( parenthood, it's not just a job, it's an adventure) So you all have fun tonite. See you next week ( or, if I get back early see you late tonite)

Message: 14614 Posted: Wed Nov 29 09:07:44 2000 By: LisaRose
Subject: Re: Rockline and Cayman Islands

Steve, Thanks for the update and if it helps -anyone can go to the Rockline site which is http://drchuck.net/rockline and click on station roster to get the station in the desired city. About that Cayman Island gig--do you or anyone have any information on any air/hotel deals? Just a thought.

Message: 14613 Posted: Wed Nov 29 08:53:32 2000 By: AmericaSL
Subject: Cayman Islands Gig

Here is the answer that Erin Edwards received from the Cayman Islands Dept. of Tourism regarding tickets for the January 13th show there.

"All visitor's tickets will be complimentary as a reward for their interest in coming to The Cayman Islands"

So, if any of you can get to the islands, you'll be guaranteed tickets to the concert.

Message: 14612 Posted: Wed Nov 29 08:49:05 2000 By: AmericaSL
Subject: Rockline

Here's the information that I received from Morey Management (Erin Edwards) regarding the Rockline broadcast:

"Please let everyone know that America will be on "Rockline" on December 20, 2000. They will be on air from 8:30pm-9:15pm (pst). I have a list of stations that run Rockline and I will try to transfer the list over to an email."

As soon as I get the list I'll post it here.

Subject: Re: Two great places to have a concert

I think anywhere in AMERICA is apropos!

Shayne
I got a ticket waiting, i gotta catch that train...

Message: 14610 Posted: Wed Nov 29 00:10:33 2000 By: John Corbett
Subject: Two great places to have a concert

How about our Dynamic Duo holding concerts in Beckley, West Virginia, and Bunnell, Florida?

Just a thought...

john

Subject: People Magazine

Hi all! Did anybody notice the "tiny" picture of America in the most recent People magazine? It's an ad for Time/Life Singer/Songwriters of the Seventies. Carly Simon is prominently displayed...along with smaller pix of other '70's acts. It was kinda nice to see our boys' bright, shiney faces up there with the big guns like Elton John! It made my day!!!!

Subject: Las Vegas end-of-year shows

Well as you probably know AMERICA closes out 2000 w/2 headliner shows at the Flamingo in Las Vegas on December 29th & 30th. A very excellent venue to see AMERICA close their World Tour 2000. Hope many of you can make it. Who knows, maybe luck might have ALL MY LIFE featured, you just never know. For sure though you can bet that AMERICA will shine brightly among the Las Vegas glitter.

Message: 14607 Posted: Mon Nov 27 14:49:12 2000 By: Leakycanoe
Subject: off subject: M.Tomlinson in Concert

Is anyone in the Southern California Area interested in seeing Michael Tomlinson in a rare live concert appearance? If so he is appearing at the LA Wilshire Ebell Theater December 9, 2000. Proceeds are going to the Make a Wish Foundation. Details are on MTís web page www.michaeltomlinson.com.

Unfortunately I canít make the show, however, I have seen MT twice in concert and I was blown away each show. MT is a great singer/songwriter who has a heart for mankind. On MTís web page he lists America as a musical influence (cool).

If anyone can make it you wonít be sorry, and please let me know how the show was.

Subject: re: Highway

Geez Leaky...what a novel idea! :-) Then you could just "borrow it" once in awhile!
Back to work..drat.

Message: 14605 Posted: Mon Nov 27 08:49:48 2000 By: jeff brink
Subject: Now Sue...

Both versions are outstanding. PAGES is a Dewey Bunnell favorite of mine. I would still like to hear NOW SUE backwards...

Message: 14604 Posted: Mon Nov 27 08:02:53 2000 By: Leakycanoe
Subject: re:Highway

....thanks Janice...If Highway is still the quick pick on Amazon.com this Monday morning then I will have to email a link to all my friends as a hint....Highway is number one on my Christmas List.....

.....mmmmmm or maybe I'll buy my wife the Highway CD for christmas.... :-)

Subject: Re: Now Sue.

Great song.

Kevin.

Subject: try whistling this

I love "Try Whistling This" although i don't think it's as good as any of the Crowded House records(no shame in that)
Jim Moginie(Midnight Oil) co- wrote a few songs on "Try Whistling This"
and i love the oils and Jim's songwriting so i knew i would really like the album.
I've seen Neil Finn twice since he has gone solo and although it hasn't got the same spark as a Crowded House show he is still a fantastic performer.

Subject: test

test

Subject: good music day

doing my art homework and alternately listening to "van go gan" and neil finn's "try whistling this" today. love all of gerry's songs but totally dig "now sue" and "playing god" (and man, do i miss phil hartman!)

does anyone else have the aforementioned neil finn? hit me just right today - especially "she will have her way" which i realized was a song played at the end of an episode of "sports night" - a show i loved and was yanked long before it should have (which always seems to happen to my favorite shows).

sorry, i'm rambling...

Subject: Re: Everybody out shopping??

Ah, the greatness of the internet. Everything has been ordered and shipped via Amazon and other online (reputible) companies. Good thing I had the operation this year or my kids would have gone without.

I was wondering the same thing about the microphone.

Shayne
And now the more I try to give the more that you demand...

Subject: Re: Everybody out shopping??

No. I went to the grocery store and have been trapped behind a huge Stovetop Stuffing display! Just kidding, but it is kinda quiet in here.

This weeks installation of Dan's bio made me laugh out loud!

Hey Dave Moretti, What's the story behind Gerry's mic cover?

Subject: Everybody out shopping??

Geez..I posted the last message yesterday morning..there must be some heavy duty shopping going on this weekend!
Enjoying the cool weather, Baileys and coffee and a fire.. :-)

Subject: Highway!

Hi ya'll! Enjoying your Thanksgiving holiday?? I am avoiding the malls and starting my shopping right here..in the comfort of my living room, fire blazing..hot cup of cocoa..ahhhh..
Anyway..went to the Amazon page and Highway is the featured "Quick Pick" on the opening page! Have a great weekend..don't get trampled out there. :-)

Subject: RE: "A Horse W/ No Name": Correct tuning & Chords!

Glad to here that your ear agrees with mine Cin. And thanks Andy for letting us know the Tuning that Gerry shared with you. My interpretation of Horse in my Bio was close, but I did'nt know the E string's were tuned down to D, along with the A tuned down to E. I'll send an update to Steve for my bio.

PERSONAL NOTE: I accepted a new challenge at my rocket science job to prepare myself for iminent force reductions. Not able to check the Fans page as often. We are making a lot fewer missles(which is great). Russian missles are being converted into plowshears (which is also great), but it makes for an over supply of satelites launchers and American Rocket Engineers. After 17 years in the business I may be looking for a new industry to feed my family.

Message: 14594 Posted: Fri Nov 24 19:10:24 2000 By: AmericaSL
Subject: Re: Mr. Webmaster

Bob, the only thing I've heard is that Gerry and Bobby have been working on a couple of tracks. If I hear anything else I'll be sure to pass it along.

Subject: Mr. Webmaster

Steve, any update on Mr. Beckleys next solo project?

It seems only fitting that 'A Horse With No Name' has the following guitar tuning:>>>D E D G B D<<<; DE(wey), D(an),G(erry)B(eckley)!!!

The last 'D' could stand for Jeff D(exter), co-producer of the 1st album.

Message: 14591 Posted: Thu Nov 23 18:59:18 2000 By: AmericaSL
Subject: Under The Mercy Soundclips

As promised, here are two RealAudio sound clips from the new Peace CD, "Under The Mercy". It was tough to pick out only two but I went with two very acoustic numbers (tracks 2 and 4 on the CD). They'll remain available for the next 7 days. Enjoy and have a Happy Thanksgiving weekend!

World Spinning - soundclip
Time Waits - soundclip

Happy Thanksgiving to all !!!
Again, I want to stress that I got that tuning for HORSE directly from the great Gerry Beckley when the group was in New York. I DID NOT FIGURE IT OUT ON MY OWN!!! I only wish that I had the skills to pull that off!
My next project (okay fantasy) is to get members of this board that are musically inclined AND live in the New York area...and perform the entire HAT TRICK CD live. I volunteer to blow those weird bubbles, and I'll do some acoustic guitar.

ANDY

Subject: Thankful things

Well, I'm sooooo full. I have something new that I'm thankful for. We had a powe outage at about 4:30 and it lasted almost two hours. I'm thankful that I was able to miss my beloved Cowboys play!

Shayne
cause when they turn out the lights....

Subject: Re: Dan's Thoughts On "Under The Mercy"

Steve ,

Your the man !!!
Regards,
Brad

Subject: OOPS! a Slight correction to prior post!

The line towards the end should read: "The correct chord fingerings,low to high.." I posted high to low in my haste, sorry for the inconvenience and your understanding! Cin

Ladies and Gents, we have a winner! A number of you Emailed me with your best guesses regarding the correct tuning & chords for this song.
Andy provided us w/ Dewey's altered tuning (courtesy Gerry Beckley no less!). Mike Bunn emailed w/ his vote for the correct chords (...if you read one of my previous postings, you'll see my less-than-perfect-attempt!) I knew the moment I saw Mike's Email, that the search for the correct chord sequence was over (see the Best of Musicladen DVD featuring America...towards the end of the performance of this song, we get a perfect front on view of Dewey playing the chords just as Mike indicated to me. Once again, the correct tuning, low to high: D E D G B D. The correct chord fingerings, high to low, are as follows
(the numbers refer to the frets to be fingered): 1: 202002 2: 020202
3: 000202. This is absolutely correct...thanks to everyone, in particular Mike and Andy...Happy Thanksgiving & enjoy playing the song! Cin

Subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving

Well it's T-day today and I'm currently 300 miles away from my own computer...visiting family and am not able to read any messages sent to me until I return on Sunday. I'm using my niece's computer.

I, too, just want to say how thankful I am for having such great America friends here on the Chat Folder. Also, I REALLY APPRECIATE all the hard work that STEVE does to allow us to meet here. Thanks Dewey and Gerry for still keeping-on with your WONDERFUL music and talent! Thanks Dan (and Tom) for the wonderful bio stories and for keeping-on also. THANKS EVERYONE!!!! Enjoy the holiday!

(Thanks Cathy for thinking about me!)

Subject: Re: Happy Thanksgiving/Last nites chat

Hapy Thanksgiving to all! Take some time today to think about what you are truly thankful for. I am thankful for my family and friends who have sustained me throught this year. Sometimes keeping my sense of humor has been a challenge.

Also , thanks to all who came in to chat last night. It was a small but lively group. and Dan, if that were really you, sorry I missed you. If not , whoever you were, thanks for playing!

Have a lovely holiday.

Robyn

Happy Thanksgiving to all. I feel the need to say how thankful i am to all of you who have shown your care for me as i recover even though our relationship is strictly web based. You truly are an exceptional group of people.

I'm thankful for my improving health, my four children, my incredible wife and the fact that it is impossible to be bored if you watch the rhetoric between the republicans and democrats. G-d bless the USA. I am truly thankful that jerry Springer is only on one station and I have choices. I am thankful that although I will eat turkey until it comes out of my nose, I enjoy it enough that the leftovers won't go to waste.

I believe the thing I am most thankful today for is that due to my beloved Cowboys being on TV, I will not need any pain killers for at least a day. Watching them play this year is numbing enough all by itself.

A little Thanksgiving day humor. It really is my favorite holiday.

Shayne

Message: 14582 Posted: Thu Nov 23 06:38:03 2000 By: Joe Knight

Opps sorry ! I hit the wrong button before I finished my message..Also happy Thanksgiving to ALL fans out there. Try not to eat too much. I am most Thankful for my family. I am also thankful to Dan for having the baseball contest where I won the Highway CDs...Thanks again Dan!!! Thank you Steve for the best maintained Web sight on the net!!!!!!!! Joe Knight

Message: 14581 Posted: Thu Nov 23 06:33:09 2000 By: Joe Knight
Subject: Happy Thanksgiving

Hi guys, just wanted to say happy Thanksgiving to Dewey,Gerry and Dan, Micheal ,Brad and Willie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message: 14580 Posted: Thu Nov 23 06:12:43 2000 By: AmericaSL
Subject: Dan's Thoughts On "Under The Mercy"

This is what Dan has to say about his involvment on the PEACE CD "Under The Mercy":

"It's great to hear positive reviews of the new PEACE CD, 'Under The Mercy'. In addition to producing, I am singing and playing my heart out all over the CD. Brian and Ken are such prolific songwriters that I only felt the need to contribute "On Wings Of Eagles", so don't be fooled, I'm in there!!... and proud to be a part of PEACE. (P.S., I'm in the cover photo, just behind Ken and Brian, but you need special 3-D glasses to see me. More on that later.) Dan Peek"

Tom Peek will be posting the above message to Dan's Website. He will also be working up some 30 second sound clips in RealAudio soon. But, it will be several days before he can get them posted. Since I have the only public copy available at this time... Tom and Dan have given me their permission to choose two 30 second RealAudio clips and put them on the America Fans web site for a week. If I have time later today, I'll pick my favorite two and get them out for everyone to hear. If I don't get time today, I'll definitely get them out this weekend.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

--SteveL

Message: 14579 Posted: Wed Nov 22 15:31:15 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: Re: The "Snap" Factor

Kevin, if you'll notice in post #14553 I didn't mention ANYTHING about having "hits". Personally I could care LESS if the song's a hit or not, if I like it. I was just bringing about a curious factor that exists in a lot of bands. Yes, the people/bands you mentioned are EXCELLENT. Yes they didn't have mega "hits". BUT the albums that I happened to mention DID. Hence the observation. I'm not one to amass all artists into the same bin.......

TkH<-------initially sound

Subject: Thanksgiving and stuff(ing?)

Just wanted to wish our guys and all you wonderful fellow fans a happy Thanksgiving.

And Howard - glad to hear you are on the rebound. Doesn't look like my friend from Florida is going to make it up, so I will have to send you a couple of songs done solo. My son just bought a bass, so I may make a lame attempt at adding a bass track to my songs. I'll try and get them done this weekend.

Shayne - hang in there - it does get better. I've never had back surgery (my wife has), but I had a dozen surgeries on my leg after my accident, plus I had open-heart surgery a couple of years ago and an emergency appendectomy when I was a senior in high school, so I can relate to what you're going through.

Hope everyone can find plenty to be thankful for!

Alan

Subject: Re: Hat Trick.

Kevin S. wrote: << Other than to satisify some weasily record executive, why do you need to have a hit single? John Hiatt released wonderul album after wonderful album after wonderful album without a hit single, and his career never suffered. How many hit singles did King Crimson have? Or the Greatful Dead? Or Little Feat? When you swing for the fences is when you're most likely to strike out. >>

Amen, Kevin. I couldn't agree more. (BTW, I'm a big fan of John Hiatt. I personally think that Perfectly Good Guitar and Walk On have some of the finest music - outside America, of course - ever written).

Message: 14576 Posted: Wed Nov 22 12:33:56 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: Re: I'm Back/Happy Turkey/Conest

Hey Howard? I'm wishing you a QUIET, PEACEFUL and UNEVENTFUL year! I think you may be a needing one right about now........ (C; Here's to you! (C=

TkH<------------initially shocked

Message: 14575 Posted: Wed Nov 22 12:31:46 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: THANKSgiving

I am thankful for:

The fact my kids chose me as their portal into this universe!

That we're all healthy and safe,

A husband that sticks with me despite everything (lol),

Creativity (of ALL sorts),

Freedom!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Hope its a fulfilling one for you in every way!

TkH<--------initially stuffed

Subject: Thanksgiving, etc.

Thanks so much for your efforts Howard. My thoughts are with you.
Thanks Steve for all the work you do. Thanks Robyn, for being a delightful chat host. Thanks Johnny, for just being you. Thanks to all the fans for great musical taste and style. Thanks America for more than I could say!
Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Message: 14573 Posted: Wed Nov 22 09:31:48 2000 By: Howard Lieboff
Subject: I'm Back/Happy Turkey/Conest

Just want to wish everyone a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving Holiday.
After a rough 2 weeks, I'm resting at home for Thanksgiving and picking our new 2001 Honda Accord on Saturday. Smooth huh?
Again, thank you everyone for your kind words. Funeral was last Friday
and it was a very long and sad day.

Contest: I've received even more tapes from fans for the contest and they sound excellent. Wait til you hear them. I'll work on them
maybe over the Holiday and send to Steve L. Sorry for the delay.

God Bless, HL

Message: 14572 Posted: Wed Nov 22 09:09:58 2000 By: AmericaSL
Subject: Re: Chat

Robyn, thanks so much for keeping the chats going strong. I think we need to rename you the Chatmaster!

Subject: Chat

Just a reminder that, despite pre-Thanksgiving preparations, the Wednesday chat will be at it's regular time this evening. I will be there AFTER I get the pies in the oven!

See you all there.

Subject: re: Dear Shayne

Whew Shayne....now I can enjoy my holiday :0)..Hey..get yourself one of those noisy obnoxious bells to ring when you want something! I will be celebrating with friends this year..I'm in charge of the green beans and wine..gosh, sure hope they like this bottle of Ripple I found on sale. Kids are in LA..so I am thankful for my good friends amoung many other blessings. Leaving work early today..also thankful for that!

Message: 14569 Posted: Wed Nov 22 08:31:10 2000 By: AmericaSL
Subject: Re: Under The Mercy CD

I was so anxious to post the information about the new CD last night that I didn't share some information about it. The CD includes Dan's "On Wings Of Eagles" but that's the only song that he wrote. The rest are by Marvin and Gentry (except for the lead track, "Turn, Turn, Turn"). It is VERY acoustic and I love the sound of the guitars (especially on "World Spinning"). In addition to the superb acoustic sound, the vocal harmonies are great. There is a touch of Christian lyrics in a few of the songs, similar to the first two Peace CDs. You won't be disappointed.

To All Band Memebers and Fans:
I would just like to wish everybody and very HAPPY THANKSGIVING !!

One of the things I am most thankful for is having the opportunity to the guys LIVE - don't ever stop touring, I'd miss that way too much !!!

Subject: Re: Under The Mercy CD

Ok Stevo; I just ordered Under The Mercy. Looking forward to checking it out! Kevin prefers the 2nd. I like the 2nd one too, but my preference is the 1st. For me, Stronger Than You Know is one of the BEST CDs I have ever had the pleasure of listening to!

Great pics of the America Bus. Thanks Cari!

Message: 14566 Posted: Wed Nov 22 04:37:38 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: Re: America Riding A Bus In Florida

I'm moving to Orlando.......

TkH<------initially challenged

Subject: re: Under the mercy.

Steve: I just ordered my copy today. If this really is the best of the three, it must be pretty damn good because in my opinion the second one, PEACE, was one of my favorite albums in a long, long, long, long time. I can't wait to get it.

By the way, I've noticed that it's just Gentry and Marvin on the cover, without Dan Peek. Is Dan not an official member of Peace anymore? If not, that means he's now free to join another band.

Gee, what band can he join? What band can he join? I'm stumped.

KevinS.

Message: 14564 Posted: Tue Nov 21 20:36:05 2000 By: AmericaSL
Subject: Under The Mercy CD

I just received my CD and all I can say is WOW! What a great CD by Ken Marvin and Brian Gentry with production credits going to Dan Peek, Marvin, and Gentry. This is the third CD released by Peace and in my opinion it's the best. It is available from 7-Mile Entertainment for $14.95 or you can get it included with the Peace Trilogy (all three CDs) for $19.95. What a perfect gift for yourself or someone else. Now excuse me while I go back to listening to the CD. There isn't a bad song on it.

Click here to read more about it.

Message: 14563 Posted: Tue Nov 21 20:11:19 2000 By: AmericaSL
Subject: America Riding A Bus In Florida

Cari Patterson sent me some cool photos that she took recently in the Orlando area. A local radio station there has some buses painted with rock and roll stars to promote their free concert series and Cari snapped some photos of a bus with America. Thanks Cari!

Subject: Re: Hat Trick

"Hat Trick" is probably my favorite America album with the guys as a trio. It's a tough call between "Hat Trick" and "Homecoming" though. Loved both then and love both now. Isn't "Hat Trick" Dewey's favorite album also. I'm pretty sure I read that. I agree that "Green Monkey" is a WONDERFUL rocker. Perhaps it and "California Revisited" are my two favorite.

I believe I'm correct on this: In Spain, "Rainbow Song" was released as a 45 single with "Muskrat Love" as its flip-side. I still find it strange that "Muskrat" was released in the States with its flip-side being a "Homecoming" song, "Cornwall Blank".

Shayne, you're one tough guy...two back surgeries! Wow! Strangely, it makes me think of "Right Back To Me". Must be a "back" thing. I hope you're resting well.

Subject: Re: Hat Trick.

HAT TRICK: The Album.
Dark, moody, and mysterious. One of their BEST!
America is not my favorite band because of their hits. They have an avalanche of superior songs that were never hits on the radio. But they were 'hits' for me.
When I heard Dewey reciently say in concert, when talking about Wind Wave: "An obscure song from an obscure album", I wish I could have told him that he needn't feel ashamed about Wind Wave. It's a GREAT SONG! A great song is a great song, no matter if it was on the radio or not!
Best Rocker? My money's on Green Monkey.
Have A Nice Thanksgiving.

Subject: Re: Dear Shayne...

Oh Janice,

never, never, ever did I assume you meant anything negative or light. If anything, you truly understand. I appreciate that. Right now, the nausea keeps me from taking pain pills and I feel like I have a really bad sunburn on my back.

I just bought James Taylor's Greatest Hits 2 and am allowing that to help me feel better.

Thanks for all your well wishes. I know it will get better soon.

Shayne
Torn and battered now and due for repair

Regarding Hat Trick, I agree with John Corbett that there isn't a bad salad on the album. I played today on my way into work and forgot how good it is. I don't rate an album on how commerically succesful it was
(also Hourglass), if it's good it's good. I was very relaxed by the time I got into work after listening to it. Green Monkey should win the rockers tournament.

Mark

Subject: Dear Shayne...

I truly am sorry that you are so miserable and hope that you did not think I was making light of your situation..things will get better, trust me. I finally just had my doctor put in a zipper! Get well soon and enjoy the holiday as best you can. Janice

Subject: Hat Trick.

Other than to satisify some weasily record executive, why do you need to have a hit single? John Hiatt released wonderul album after wonderful album after wonderful album without a hit single, and his career never suffered. How many hit singles did King Crimson have? Or the Greatful Dead? Or Little Feat? When you swing for the fences is when you're most likely to strike out.

KevinS.

Subject: Hat Trick

I, too, find Hattrick to be an incedible album. I do recall that at the time (at least sometime in the mid 70's), thinking it was weaker than most. I've never been a big fan of the singles, so I don't think the lack of a big one was cause fo my feelings. Now that I'vegrown older (clearly not neccesarily wiser), I appreciate the beauty of the album more.

On a personal note, anyone who wants to fight me for the new "surgery title" is welcome to take it without a fight. I'm very sore, emotional, dizzy, nauseaus and all around miserable. I cried watching a Moonlighting episode for goodness sakes (it was a good episode mind you - the one featuring Billy Joel's "Big Man On Mulberry Street"), but still...

Shayne
I'm only half a man (oh, that's cruel...)

When they played Wind Wave at the Topsfield Fair last month, Dewey described it as "an obscure song from an obscure album" and the only song ever written that contains the word "hankerin'". I never thought of Hat Trick as an obscure album. I think (apparently like most of you do) that it is some of their best material. I never judge an album by how much commercial success it has or how many hits it produced. It is without a doubt some of their most definitive work.

Message: 14554 Posted: Tue Nov 21 13:06:52 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: Cool!!!!!

I don't know about the rest of you, but MAN, it's BEAUTIFUL down here (F-I-N-A-L-L-Y)! Keep those cold fronts COMIN' y'all!!!! SIGH

TkH<----"initially" tired...lol

Message: 14553 Posted: Tue Nov 21 12:59:31 2000 By: Beechlady

Well said Mr. Corbett, I couldn't agree with you more. I think if you look at every successful band around they always have ONE album that didn't do QUITE as well. It's funny how THAT album always seems to be a fan "favourite". I think it's for THAT simple reason!
I've always been partial to a "theme-like" album myself. Some albums are just that way, whether they were conceived that way or not....When I listen to "Ten Summoners Tales" IT always seems like a "concept". When I listen to "Off The Wall" IT seems to be like that. TOTO's first album was like that (and spawned a hit from EVERY SONG..WOW). Maybe if Hat Trick had been 3-4 years earlier it might have been a huge cult favorite, but alas the climate was a changin'.......

Oh, well....back to TODAY! (C% (Darn it)

TkH<-----coming out of the dark

Ah, the "snap" factor, but it does indeed have the "sooth" factor, very soothing, in fact silky smooth, perhaps like SILENT LETTER.

"The purple ghost of England in winter time, who I use to know ..."
D. BUNNELL

Message: 14551 Posted: Tue Nov 21 10:58:37 2000 By: John Corbett
Subject: The "Snap" Factor

I respect what Gerry has to say about Hat Trick, but as a fan I guess I see the album quite differently. Without having a breakout hit like "Tin Man" or a "Sister Golden Hair", Hat Trick is forced to sink or swim on how cohesive the album is as a whole. The hits are certainly great for record sales and keeping up the group's profile, but I have to admit that I love a mood album like Hat Trick. It's the kind of album you put in the stereo and sit back for a comfortable ride. Not a bad salad on the album!

john

Message: 14550 Posted: Tue Nov 21 10:44:34 2000 By: Marshall

Hat Trick is also one of my very favorite America albums. The closing song "Goodbye" is classic GB. Who played the electric guitar solo on it, Dan Peek?

Gerry Beckley commented on Hat Trick in the History booklet: "When I listen to it, the overriding factor is that it's too slow. Even the upbeat songs, to me, don't have snap. There's some incredible, creative things that happen on it, and it's a favorite among our fans [that's us!]. But you need a hit."

I thought Rainbow Song had the best "hit" potential, with the DB (Dewey Bunnell) trademark two chord riff, abstract lyrics, harmonizing chorus, and great sax solo at the end where they picked up the tempo. But the sax solo in the bridge wasn't as energetic, more mysterious and foggy (like England).
I heard America peform this song live in 1973 and it was outstanding and very energetic (with an extended jam session!!). However, Gerry is right; the recorded version (while excellent) didn't have enough "snap" to make it enough of a hit single. It could have been recorded at a faster tempo, and the bridge improved.

Notice how the group picked up the tempo with the next DB two-chord riff single "Tin Man" and how much better it did.

Subject: Re: hat trick

I think the whole Hat Trick Album is underrated. It's been in my cd player ( both car and portable) for the last week or so.

Subject: hat trick

i've just gotta chime in on "hat trick". "three roses" has been my favorite song, but it is in serious danger of getting bumped by andy's favorite song "hat trick". my truck doesn't have a cd player so i've got a discman hooked up into the cigarette lighter. it takes me 2 "hat tricks" to get to work. ...just a little of nothin', that's all you had the time to give, just a little of nothin' ain't gunna make it worthwhile for me... what an under rated song!

Subject: Re: "Hat Trick"

"The song HAT TRICK certainly was their stamp of confidence."

Yes Jimnak, and it happens to be one of the greatest triumphs in the history of recorded music!

ANDY------> Who still thinks that "Just a Little of Nothing" is one
of the greatest lines ever written.

Subject: I know I know

toooooo fast, not to fast! My fingers had to catch with my brain..not a difficult thing to do at this hour really...

Subject: just catchin' up

As hard as I try you guys move along to fast for me..10 weeks Shayne? Yowza...you trying to take my title?? .(the reigning surgery queen, having had 4 in the last 2 years)..lol..no, not a lobotomy..not yet at least!
Hey Beech..heard the Palm Beach Pokey Sing-along?? Too funny!! I sent it to you..you'll roar! Figure that's what you're dancin' to these days. A guy wore a Florida University sweatshirt at the gym yesterday morning..(I don't think he'll never wear that again..at least for awhile)..
Well, Happy Thanksgiving..we all have so much to be thankful for...God's blessings to one and all. Janice :-)

Subject: Re: "Hat Trick"

Agreed for sure. HAT TRICK was 100% pure AMERICA, smooth & unfettered. They had refined a few things in the studio (learned in the past few years) & blended their fresh, energetic & confident emotions into a fine work of art. Very much like HUMAN NATURE & HOURGLASS, their most recent new material CD's. The song HAT TRICK certainly was their stamp of confidence.

Message: 14543 Posted: Mon Nov 20 15:58:17 2000 By: John Corbett
Subject: "Hat Trick"

What I love about Hat Trick is that it features some of the most subtle and clean production of any America album. Aside from its lyrics, "Muskrat Love" has some of the slickest keyboard riffs of any pop songs -- so much so that it was sampled for Ultramarine's 1992 album "Every Man And Woman Is A Star". The track in particular is called "Honey". Listen to it if your already haven't!!!!!

john

Message: 14542 Posted: Mon Nov 20 14:18:05 2000 By: mBluLight
Subject: Re: The Plan

man... low is so cool.

mB

Message: 14541 Posted: Mon Nov 20 13:14:42 2000 By: AmericaSL
Subject: The Plan

Some of you might be interested in hearing a new track called "The Plan". It is written by the group "Low" which is a band that Gerry and Bobby Woods are very fond of. The track is from the upcoming "Les Deux Love Orchestra" debut album which will be coming out for Christmas. The track features Bobby singing and Gerry playing the guitar. Hope you like it.

Click here to download the MP3 file from X-Drive (available for 7 days from today)

You can also click here to sign up for your own free Internet X-Drive account. I have found it's a great place to store MP3 and other files which I want to share with others.

Hi all! I'm taking my chances that my school hasn't begun monitoring this computer to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving! I'm thankful for many things in my life (...INCLUDING my teaching job, that I don't want to lose!!!) My best to Gerry, Dewey, the band, and everbody who loves them! Enjoy this wonderful time of year!

Nina (...soon to be unemployed????)

P.S. Do "our boys" need a wardrobe mistress? I CAN sew!!!!!

Message: 14539 Posted: Mon Nov 20 11:08:05 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: Re: Elite Eight

What Steve? No Muskrat Love mysteriously popping up? I'm crushed...lol

Um, should I say I'm surprised at this out ballot outcome???? Out of those 8, 5 were top vote getters. Curiously though, the TOP vote getter on the nomination sheet hasn't made it! That top vote grabber was "Green House"!!! WOW! Of course "Sandman", "Ventura Highway", "Sis G.H." have survived (no suprise), but that really threw me for a loop!

TkH<-------EW&F groovin' today I AM!!!!! (C=

Message: 14538 Posted: Mon Nov 20 09:14:09 2000 By: AmericaSL
Subject: Elite Eight

It was a busy weekend for me so I didn't have a chance to update the "What's New" section of the America Fans web site. So, here's a link to the Rocker's Song Tournament where we're now down to the Elite Eight songs. Vote for your favorite 4 "rockers" among the following:

Sandman vs. Green Monkey
Only In Your Heart vs. California Revisited
Sister Golden Hair vs. Moon Song
Ventura Highway vs. Tin Man

Subject: Hat Trick Lullaby

I agree with Beechlady - and John Corbett regarding Hat Trick. We can all use a little Hat Trick Therapy at times. The smooth as silk feeling of all the songs tend to make them cascade into one another - just like the title track. This is even repeated, for me, by Dan's last few bars of Willow Tree Lullaby which mirrors so closely the last few bars and harmonies of Muskrat Love - have a listen to one ending straight after the other to get the effect. That line "The wind through the trees plays a symphony" and the Harmony, Rhapsody, too definitely "blew me away", as does the whole album. In my opinion, their most underrated piece - at least commercially, not by those who know America.
Chris

Subject: Re: got a question and stuff

Imean "Everyone I MEET is from California" of course.

Shayne

Thanks for the support y'all. I need it!

I never had the LP in question, but I did have the music sheet for the album. It included Everyone I Need Is From California", but no "Horse". I remember wondering why at the time. Unfortunately, I have no idea what happened to it.

Shayne

Message: 14534 Posted: Sun Nov 19 12:03:08 2000 By: LisaRose

First of all, Shayne, glad to hear you are coming along. Get real well, real soon!!! Kiri, as far as "I" am concerned you do have a collector's album. I have the album I bought years ago when I was "very" little-(okay not that little) and one I bought on ebay because I was led to believe that it DID NOT include "Horse WIth No Name". I believe Andy on the board has one of those rare LP's and even had it signed by the guys last year. Anyway, not sure what it is worth but if you don't want it...guess who will buy it from you??

Subject: got a question and stuff

in the recent dan peek autobiography installment he says:
<<<After we agreed in writing that we would tour North America, Warners released the first album there, unwittingly omitting "Horse With No Name". 10,000 copies made it out and quickly became collectors items.>>>

I bought their first album - sealed, and does not include "horse" - do i have a collector's item then? i can't remember the whole story behind that and it doesn't matter to me either way - but that would be cool.

also, speaking of the past topic of the effect of listening to "hat trick" - it makes me think of bread's "guitar man"....
"Then you listen to the music and you like to sing along,
You want to get the meaning out of each and evíry song
Then you find yourself a message and some words to call your own
And take them home."

and shayne - i was in the hospital A LOT in first and second grade and my teachers would always have my classmates make me get-well cards on construction paper. they would write these misspelled jokes that didn't quite make sense, and crayoned pictures of animals with thermometers in their mouths or blank tic tac toe grids and write poems like "roses are red, violets are blue, you are sick and i am not" even then, they always made me laugh. so i'm mentally sending you one of those cards now! get well soon!

Subject: pictures

cari if you get this please write me back mel

Message: 14531 Posted: Sun Nov 19 06:19:25 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: Re: Shayne

Here's some energy bouncing your way!!!! I hope you recoup in RECORD time!!!!!!

TkH<-------Supertramp=Bodacious AIR keyboard!!!!! (C;

Subject: Things passing

Hi everyone.

My surgery appears to have been a sucess. I a home now and veryy tired and weak. I should be back at work in 10 weeks. We're hpoing for the best.

Howard,

May peace and goodwill shine upon you for here after. May G-d remember you among all the mourners of Zion.

Shayne

Message: 14529 Posted: Sat Nov 18 21:09:51 2000 By: AmericaSL

Cool interview. Thanks for sharing the link with us, John.

Subject: Re: Hatrick with America & Homecoming.

Before hitting the road you can also watch America in Concert and banish rage for the day.

My senses are soaking up America in Concert, right here in my home. For those of you who miss the Trio, MusicLaden DVD: Live with America , is a real treat. Itís the 70ís all over again with Dan, Dewey, & Gerry giving me America, Homecoming, and Hat Trick during their golden years. Iíve watched this several times the past year, but tonight it seems to be especially moving.

Subject: Rolling Stone Interview

Great interview John, Thanx for the info!

Subject: Rock and Roll Jeopardy and the Rollling Stone Interview

This week, while playing Rock and roll jeopardy online, I noticed the Rock quote was from Gerry, taking about working with George Martin.

The article in Rolling Stone has a respectful tone. Very nice. Pretty funny last line comeback from Gerry too.

Subject: Re:Altered tuning for "A Horse With No Name."

Thank you SO much Andy for providing me with the correct tuning to this song! I get so annoyed when the guitar mags criticise this so-called "simple" two chord song...so apparently simple that they've never been able to transcribe it right! I tried it out on my Taylor 412 which I have set-up with light gauge strings...(it would sound much better with medium gauge). As you indicated, low to high, the tuning is D E D G B D : a unique tuning that I've never come across before. In watching (and listening to) the Musicladen DVD, and with the correct tuning in hand, it was easy to figure out two of the three chords that Dewey uses to play the song. I'm not certain about the opening chord... Anyway, I thought I'd post the three chords and hopefully one of our members can confirm which of the two opening chord variations is the correct one! The following numbers, low to high, are the fret numbers of the strings to be fingered. Opening chord (Version 1): 2 0 0 0 0 2. Here's the other possibility... Opening chord (Version 2): 2 0 2 0 0 2. The second chord: 0 0 2 2 0 2. The third chord: 0 0 0 2 0 2. By the way, the second chord is played very briefly...three strums..(down up down)..and then releasing to chord three..as jimnak noted, the rhythm & damping are key. Thanks again! I look forward to member responses... Cin

Subject: Re: GERRY interview

Thanks John. That is a very insightful discussion on AMERICA by GERRY BECKLEY in Rolling Stone. I think all AMERICA fans get the feel for some of the source of AMERICA's energetic endurance. That was quite hilarious on that note from their Australia tours. The 2001 World Tour is already begining to take shape.

Message: 14523 Posted: Sat Nov 18 08:46:56 2000 By: John Corbett
Subject: Hat Trick

Agree! Hat Trick has to be the perfect mellow road music. I played it on my tape deck a couple weeks ago while I was driving down the coast, and it felt like everything was exactly the way it should be.

A couple months ago, Brian Wilson came this way on his Pet Sounds tour... I wonder if Dewey and Gerry would be so bold as to try to play the whole Hat Trick album in concert. Or if that's too esoteric for most audiences, why not the whole first album?

Also, I don't if anyone has seen this Rolling Stone article from September interviewing Gerry, but it's worth checking out:

http://www.rollingstone.com/sections/news/text/newsarticle.asp?afl=&NewsID=11776&LookUpString=448

Message: 14522 Posted: Sat Nov 18 06:45:30 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: Road Raging

After reading an article on "Road Rage" in our local paper recently, I've come up with THE universal cure. Every person MUST have a copy of HAT TRICK in their car, be it tape, CD, Mp3, or 8-Track!!!!!!! If you start feeling the bile creeping up on your tired, cranky persona, you just listen to either Willow Tree Lullabye or Wind Wave (or Rainbow Song or Molten Love.....lol). Voila. Instant fix. Agree?

TkH<-----waiting......waiting........waiting....

Subject: Re: Political Lyric of The Day?

How about: "Torn and battered now and due for repair..."

Or: "Looked out in a sea of trouble, and I tried to stall for a while..."

ANDY

Subject: Political Lyric of The Day?

Perhaps the current political state of the US: "...like an eagle in the eye of a hurricane that's abandoned...".

Message: 14519 Posted: Thu Nov 16 18:04:33 2000 By: LisaRose
Subject: Re: America on Rockline?

Thanks Steve!! You are quick and efficient. Looking forward to the show!

Subject: Re: Altered tuning for "A Horse With No Name."

Yes that is right. DEWEY formulated a very special tuning for HORSE WITH NO NAME to gain just the right tonality for his classic song that sky rocketed to no.1, across the globe, some 3 decades ago. And by the way that specially tuned guitar is transported to every show & used for just HORSE WITH NO NAME - the perfectionism that pervades AMERICA shows in so many ways. GERRY & the other band members will tend to play chord inversions around DEWEY. For us amateurs, it's easiest to simply use the ole' 2nd fret E minor or E minor 7th, the key is the rhythm & the damping. Happy playing ...

Message: 14517 Posted: Thu Nov 16 15:10:27 2000 By: AmericaSL

Lisa, I got a quick response from Morey Management saying that the date will most likely change from December 6. As soon as they know what the date will be, they'll pass it on to me. I've also written to the Radio station and if they send me any information, I'll be sure to pass it along.

Message: 14516 Posted: Thu Nov 16 14:47:18 2000 By: AmericaSL

Lisa, I'll see what I can find out.

Subject: Re: Altered tuning for "A Horse With No Name."

Cyn,
When I saw America perform at B.B. King's in New York City a few weeks ago, Gerry was nice enough to tell me about the tuning that Dewey uses. This is it: D E D G B D. To this day, Dewey switches to a specially tuned black Taylor cutaway guitar for that one song.
The second I arrived home from the show, I tried the tuning. I wasn't crazy about the sound, but all that proves is that I can't play the guitar so well. Hope that helps. :)

ANDY

Subject: Altered tuning for "A Horse With No Name."

I pride myself in being proficient in unravelling altered tunings from records;however, I'm stumped when it comes to this song. Recently, it appeared in yet another guitar magazine...in standard tuning only. On the "Best of Musicladen - America" DVD, you can see the group perform many of their greatest hits - - it's worth seeking out. When they perform "A Horse With No Name," Gerry and Dan are in standard tuning. Dewey, however, switches to a different acoustic and proceeds to perform what appears to be a slight variation of standard: the high and low strings appear to be tuned down. Has Dewey revealed the tuning? Does anyone here know the tuning from attending
their concerts? Please Email me if you can help...I appreciate it!! Thanks for reading!

Subject: Re: "Now Sue"

Beech, regarding "Whose minds", both sides. Hopefully, it all will be settled by next week and there will be no MOE bickering. Yeah...dream on, right? More like "Overwhelming world tied up in a knot".

JoY<---------Wise Guy

Message: 14512 Posted: Thu Nov 16 10:23:05 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: Re: "Now Sue"

Um Johnny, WHOSE MINDS?!?!?!?!?....lololol!
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaang I wish this thing would just RESOLVE ITSELF...sigh
I say we all start blaming CHAD!!!
He's always leaving us hanging,,,,,,,(ark,ark,ark-nyuk,nyuk)

TkH<-----gave BIRTH to Curley

Message: 14511 Posted: Thu Nov 16 09:19:32 2000 By: LisaRose
Subject: America on Rockline?

On the Rockline site which a radio show that is broadcast around the country -they have listed for December 6th-America. Can anyone confirm this? (hint:Steve). The site is http://drchuck.net/rockline

Subject: "Now Sue"

The political theme song for the day with a slight change:

"Now Sue"

Now sue, it gets more and more, make up their minds
Now sue, it gets more and more, make up their minds

(Welcome back Suat)

Subject: 2nd fav

1 america (as sure)
then no numbers but
alan parsons project,foreigner,toto,counting crows,eric clapton,dire straits , edwin mccaine,eagles (and the members) reo speedwagen,oasis,van morrison,bruce hornsby,steve winwood...

by the way the new cd of eagles has released (as ż know)if you want information ;
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000507FL/104-0618161-3696735

have a good day from istanbul turkey

suat

Subject: hi again

hi there again . i gor some problems (broke my leg while playing football, then some mail problems. i am fina now). i hope i dont miss too much tings . but i am back again. from now on i will join all .(sometimes i can not understand the ideas (maybe different culture or low information causes these . but i will try with your help)

suat
have a good day from istanbul turkey

Subject: Re: "All Things Must Pass" on this sad Tuesday

I try to remember the life lived, rather than placing all of my focus on the death (or the end).

We must be grateful for the opportunity of having them be a part of our lives and we being a part of theirs.

My Sincere Prayers to all of your Uncle's Friends and Family.

PatB

Subject: howard

In a beautiful blue lagoon on a clear day, a fine sailing ship spreads its brilliant white canvas in a fresh morning breeze and sails out to the open sea.

We watch it glide away magnificently through the deep blue and gradually see it grow smaller and smaller as it nears the horizon.

Finally, where the sea and sky meet, it slips silently from sight, and someone near me says, 'there, she is gone!'

Gone where? Gone from sight. That is all.

It is still as large in mast and hull and sail, still just as able to bear the load.

And we can be sure that, just as we say,'there, she is gone' another says, 'there, she comes!'"---Henry Van Dyke

surely now your uncle is in as good of hands as he was with your family

Subject: Chat reminder

Tonite is now the "oofficial" nite for the chat. I will try to be there, I may be a bit late, as I have something going on, but I hope to join in around 7:30 Pacific.

See you there.

Subject: musicradio77.com

Every year the website of the old WABC radio in New York has a favorite song contest. You put down your 3 favorite songs and they tabulate them and come up with a top 100. WABC in the 60's and 70's was the most listened radio station in the country. At one point they had a 25% share of the total listening audience. That is unheard of. This is the third year they are doing this. A Horse with No Name came in the top 20 both years. Here is your chance to vote for your favorite America song. You can vote for 3 America songs.

Just go to www.musicradio77.com and look for the contest and click where it says cast your vote. It should be fun.

Take care. Mark

Message: 14503 Posted: Wed Nov 15 16:01:34 2000 By: AmericaSL
Subject: Re: link to San Jose Mercury News article on Henry Diltz

Thanks for the link, Don. That was a really cool article about Henry (even if it didn't mention America, we know that he's a great friend of the band and has helped with some of their album covers and even an occasional banjo).

Subject: link to San Jose Mercury News article on Henry Diltz

www0.mercurycenter.com/premium/arts/docs/rockart15.htm

No mention of America, but may be of interest.

Also, of course, thoughts and prayers to Howard & family.

Message: 14501 Posted: Wed Nov 15 09:46:30 2000 By: Leakycanoe
Subject: Re: "All Things Must Pass" on this sad Tuesday

Howard, my condolences to you and your family..God Bless

Bill

Subject: Jeffrey Foskett's "12 & 12"

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but Jeffrey Foskett has a new CD out (Twelve and Twelve) which features Gerry Beckley. One of the songs on the CD is Ger's "Emma" which of course, he wrote & plays on, other featured artists include: Hank Linderman, Jeff Larson, Brian Wilson, Robert Lamm, & more.
To check out a song clip of "Emma" go to the links on this webpage
(under friends of America) it's the new surf website. On Jeffrey's page you will find the link "Dreamsville TYO page" click that on & you can listen to a couple of clips, this is from a Japanese webpage.
I'm ordering mine today, w/G.B. on it, & 12 string Rickenbackers, you can't go wrong!

Message: 14499 Posted: Wed Nov 15 07:56:06 2000 By: AmericaSL
Subject: Re: "All Things Must Pass" on this sad Tuesday :0(

My thoughts this morning are somewhat religious so I hope they don't offend anyone. I know that we should stay away from discussions of sex, politics, and religion, but in the light of Howard's recent post and the heartfelt replies, I'd like to share my thoughts.

This morning as I was reading the scriptures I came across the following passages. They made me think of Howard and many (perhaps all) of us who have suffered the loss of loved ones. I'll share just a few verses that come from the book of Alma. Maybe they can help others as they have helped me.

11 Now, concerning the state of the soul between death and the resurrection--Behold, it has been made known unto me by an angel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life.
12 And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow.

22 Yea, this bringeth about the restoration of those things of which has been spoken by the mouths of the prophets.
23 The soul shall be restored to the body and the body to the soul; yea, and every limb and joint shall be restored to its body; yea even a hair of the head shall not be lost; but all things shall be restored to their proper and perfect frame.

25 And then shall the righteous shine forth in the kingdom of God.

Message: 14498 Posted: Wed Nov 15 07:16:59 2000 By: Beechlady

Howard!

My thoughts are also with you and your family! The sage advice doled out on this board are MORE than I could ever dispense! Such wise people and such good friends! (C= Remember this. Matter never dies, it just changes form! That being said.....you take care of yourself and your family!!!!!!

TkH

Subject: Re: "All Things Must Pass"

Howard,how sad and sorry I am to hear of your tragic news,at times like these it's hard to say the right words,but wonderful to have so many caring people rally round.

Howard, Be strong my brother and live for today. DanC.

Howard,
I'm really sorry for your loss, our thoughts & prayers to you & your family.
EDDY

HL - long time no talk - my thoughts and prayers with you and your family - cari

You and your family have been in my thoughts and prayers this week and will continue to be. These words hav always sustained me:

What he was
he was
What he is fated to become
depends upon us
remembering his death
how we choose to live
will decide it's meaning.

Remember the love and the laughter Howie. May the joy of his life sustain you in these sad times.

Robyn

Howard,

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Be comforted in the many happy memories and good times you shared with your uncle.

Mark East Brunswick, N.J.

Message: 14491 Posted: Tue Nov 14 13:09:02 2000 By: daisyjane64

So sorry to hear that,Howard.My thoughts and prayers are with you and you family.

Howie, to be reunited again in the future so :0( may become :0) again.

Howard,

My condolences on your loss. I know it's not easy losing a loved one as I have been through it a more than few times myself (as I'm sure we all have). My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Alan

Very sorry to hear of your loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Message: 14487 Posted: Tue Nov 14 12:22:01 2000 By: AmericaSL

Howie, I'm really sorry to hear about your uncle but at least he has gone on to a better place and his misery and suffering is through. The tough part is for those who are left behind. Our thoughts and prayers will remain with you. --SteveL

Message: 14486 Posted: Tue Nov 14 11:59:12 2000 By: Howard Lieboff
Subject: "All Things Must Pass" on this sad Tuesday :0(

I know this isn't the grieving chat board, but...
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their support & concern
about my Uncle David. People went out of their way to email me
and comfort my family & me with get well wishes and prayers, but this Tuesday morning my Uncle passed away. They took him off the respirator 12Midnight on Saturday and just let life take its course.
He died of a stroke or heart failure on Nov 4th when he stopped breathing. His favorite place in the world (& Tery can attest to this) in Boca Raton, Florida when he went to visit my parents is Flakowitz, a bakery you can only imagine in heaven. Millions upon Millions of calories, fat, etc. OY VEY!
Anyways...Thank you friends once again.
HL

Message: 14485 Posted: Mon Nov 13 12:27:48 2000 By: AmericaSL
Subject: New Peace CD

The Peace news web page just posted this information about a new Peace CD:

The third CD in the PEACE Trilogy "Under The Mercy" will be released on November 20, 2000.

"Under The Mercy" will be available exclusively from 7 Mile Entertainment. By special arrangement we are offering this milestone CD "Stand Alone", or as part of the "PEACE Trilogy Package" which includes the three CD set: "Under The Mercy", "Peace", and "Stronger Than You Know"

In the run-up to the release of this long awaited Album we are pleased to provide a pre-release RealAudio sound clip of the classic hit... TURN, TURN, TURN from this new CD!

Thanks go to Tom Peek for making us aware of this new release! Congratulations to Dan, Brian, and Ken.

Message: 14484 Posted: Mon Nov 13 12:06:35 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: Re: Recount!!!!!

Mark, Mark, MARK. You can only demand a recount if you live in West Palm Beach county Florida. Didn't you KNOW THAT? (snicker)
Man, it's almost like there's a hurricane fast approaching us. It's practically the ONLY thing on the news. I wish it'd just get OVER with! UGH. I guess it beats hearing about another Panthers loss...lol

TkH<------tired and forelorn NHL semi-widow

Subject: Recount!!!!!

How could Here get beat so early in the rockers song tournament?!? I DEMAND a recount! And if the recount shows that Here still got beat then I demand a hand recount and will keep demanding recounts until I get the results I want!

Subject: Re: RE Chapter 17

OK, how about this one...

G Glenn Frey
E Eagles
R REO Speedwagon
R Robert Palmer
Y Young, Neil

B Billy Joel
E Electric Light Orchestra
C Chicago
K King, Carole
L Lovin' Spoonful
E England Dan and John Ford Coley
Y Yes

D Doors
E Emerson Lake and Palmer
W Wallflowers
E Eurythmics
Y Youngbloods

B Boz Scaggs
U U2
N Nillson
N Naked Eyes
E Etheridge, Melissa
L Led Zeppelin
L Lynard Skynard

D Davis, Paul
A Alabama
N No Doubt

P Parsons Project, Alan
E Everly Brothers
E Electric Prunes (couldn't resist)
K Kansas

Shayne
ti ti ti too much time on my hands...

Message: 14481 Posted: Sun Nov 12 21:29:11 2000 By: John Lussier
Subject: Re: This and That

Way off topic

Nina, if the powers that be in your school or district are going to spend time and money monitoring how people use the internet then they have way too much free time. Too bad they wouldn't spend that $ on teachers' salaries or school supplies or library books or...

j

Subject: Re: RE Chapter 17

I think the majority if not all of us have enjoyed reading Dan's bio. I know if I'm thinking this, others of us are probably also. It is this: What do D&G think of Dan's stories? Hmmmm.

Mike B, I like how you listed your "favorite" artists. Very cool! I can't help but imitate.

A merica
M cBride, Martina
E agles
R ussell, Brenda
I ngland Dan and John Ford Coley (OK, it's England but I was pressed.)
C rowded House
A merica (because they're the beginning and the end!!!)

Subject: Re: Your Second Favorite

I donít like that word favorite. Just ask my wife when it comes to colors, food, etc. I can say my favorite group is America. Here are some musicians that come to mind.

H endrix
A merica
N iel Young
K ansas

L oggins & Messina
I an Samwel (Horse & Rainy Day Leads)
N ash, Graham
D an Folgleberg
E gles
R ichie Cannata
M att Beckley
A lbert King
N iel Diamond

Subject: RE Chapter 17

I, too, am enjoying Dan's memoirs. However, unless they moved it, Vandenberg is in SOUTHERN California ( rolfmho-- thanks Dan!)

Message: 14477 Posted: Sun Nov 12 16:12:51 2000 By: mel clayton
Subject: Re: West Palm Beach

hello did you see them when they were at churchstreet they just didn't play long enough.... see ya mel :)

Subject: This and That

Hi all! GOOD NEWS: My school is about to connect to the web next week!!! BAD NEWS: BUT they are going to monitor each of our classroom computers to make sure we aren't using it for our own personal use! Darn it! So, I'm STILL without access on a regular basis!

HOWARD...How nice of you to send me that package during such a crisis in your life! My thoughts are with you...hang in there!

Johnny...If I had to pick my second favorite...it would be a toss up between Dan Fogelberg and Joni Mitchell! But there's so many great bands and individual performers that have enriched my life, I'd find it very hard to choose!

Take care everybody!

Nina

Message: 14475 Posted: Sun Nov 12 07:27:55 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: Chapter 17

Another (not nearly LONG ENOUGH-hint,hint,--rofl) WONDERFUL chapter in Dan Peeks Bio! Keep 'em coming, Sir!!!!!

TkH<----Lions&Rams&Bears-Oh, MY!

Message: 14474 Posted: Sun Nov 12 07:19:22 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: Re: ?????West Palm Beach??????

Thanks Terry, Cari and Mel!!!!! Almost like I was there....sigh. I ALWAYS make the Hallendale Concert (I suppose I shouldn't say this, I may jinx my karma...lol) and since it's so close to Valentine's Day I can MAKE my hubby take me.....(guilt is a wonderful tool!!!)

TkH<-------Feeling like a Cartoon Network world premiere....

Message: 14473 Posted: Sun Nov 12 07:12:31 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: Re: guys with Big.......

Yeah, but are you CUTE????? LOL

TkH<-----Got Milk?

Subject: West Palm Beach

Terry - was going to post a review of the WPB show - but yours was right on the money - quotes and all - my little girl and I drove down and back from Orlando and had a blast. The playlist was Awesome.

Message: 14471 Posted: Sun Nov 12 05:11:22 2000 By: Jim Griffey

Got a number of "second favorites"...They include
--Raspberries
--Three Dog Nite (The "Naturally" album is one of my all time faves)
--Rascals
--Billy Joel
--James Gang (Joe Walsh era, Tommy Bolin era)

Subject: Re:Your Second Favourite

I would probably say Midnight Oil with honourable mentions for The Beatles and Crowded House.
RICK

Subject: Re:Your Second Favourite

I would probably say Midnight Oil with honourable mentions for The Beatles and Crowded House.
RICK

Message: 14468 Posted: Sat Nov 11 18:39:52 2000 By: AmericaSL

Thanks Mel and Terry for the reviews. Yes, the guys will be back in Florida on February 18. The new concert list has been posted which includes that gig and a few others. I'm sure there will be many more added for the 2001 Music Odyssey Tour (that's my name for the tour, not the bands').

Right, Mel!

Pretty much the LONG set, similar to recent ones, along with intermission, maybe so the venue could make money on drinks ("more like a nap", in the Guys' words), and double encore. Yes, the break contributed to a more energized second set. WIND WAVE, affirmative. Our vote DOES count. WHEELS, THREE ROSES, THINGS WE SAID TODAY, but no PAGES or TRAIN. Before mentioning the jokes and comments relating to the politically charged county they were visiting, let me say that HANK LINDERMAN, a fine young guitarist AND keyboard player, ROCKS! He is a gentleman and prefessional, as they all are. It was mentioned that he was born in West Palm Beach. The Guys remarked to the effect, "...that sounded just like the recording...oh yeh, that's because he IS on the recording!", as he continued to serve justice. I'd love to hear Woodz and him jam together in this lifetime. Hank was introduced after WIND WAVE was played, when Dewey kinda said, "That's the only song we do that has the word 'hankerin'', and speaking of..."

Comments (not exact or complete, but close, and mostly by Dewey):

We've got to thank our agent for the unforseen timing of this show and the extra publicity we received as we passed by the courthouse (literally blocks away).

The name of our group, and our country, is AMERICA. That should mean we're ALL winners.

HANGOVER was introduced as the song most applicable to the current political situation. "I think this next song applies..."

You've got to excuse him for not singing the right song. You see, we just started using the 'butterfly' style song list.

After Gerry joked about the venue using only one spotlight, which was humorously trying to keep shining on the one that was speaking or jamming the most, and "was it in the contract or something", Dewey said, "just kidding", and complimented them. Dewey, after the encores, referred to the uncanny circumstances of being "in the center of the storm" that night and wished everyone optimism, whatever the outcome.

Thanks again to Dewey, Gerry, Willie, Brad, Hank, and Pete for an extraordinary and intimate performance at that 800 seat theatre!

Message: 14466 Posted: Sat Nov 11 16:22:22 2000 By: mel clayton

IT WAS GREAT! BUT THERE IS A NEW GUY FILLING IN FOR WOODS AND IT MAKES THEIR SOUND MORE MODERN. I HOPE THAT THEY KEEP BOTH OF THEM. AND YES THEY PLAYED YOUR SONG.AND ALOT OF THERE NEW STUFF IT WAS REALLY AWSUME.AND AFTER THE SHOW THEY SIGNED PICTURES AND TALKED TO US ALL. THEY ARE DOWN TO EARTH PEOPLE.I LOOK FORWARD TO ANOTHER CONCERT..... MAYBE YOU CAN GO TO THE NEXT ONE. THEY SAID THAT THEY WILL BE IN HAVENDALE IN FEB..SORRY THAT YOU MISSED A GOOD CONCERT MEL:)

Subject: patience

Just ordered Carribean Christmas CD. Hope it is worth the wait. DanC.

I forgot the word mention after honorable, my humble apologies. DanC.

Beatles with honorable for John Fogerty and Alice. DanC.

Message: 14462 Posted: Sat Nov 11 12:17:29 2000 By: Leakycanoe
Subject: guys with Big.......

EGOS..........

Lky<.......just playing with you beech.....

Subject: Re: Unknown Single???

Mark, according to "All Music Guide", there are 19 entries for "Don't Forget About Me". They are mainly for Dusty Springfield and one for American Breed (1968) but none for America.

There are 43 entries for "Don't Make Me Over". They are mainly for Dionne Warwick. Warwick's song was, no surprise, written by Burt Bacharach. There was no listing for America with that song title.

Message: 14460 Posted: Sat Nov 11 09:13:16 2000 By: Beechlady

ROFL, Mark. Guess you and my husband would have to duel (you not liking K.C......) swords or pistols? Hey, maybe THAT'S the solutions to our presidential "problems"!!!!!

TkH<----not above a little violence now and then....(snicker)

My second favorite is definitely Chicago. Close behind is Elton John, Steely Dan, Harry Chapin, The Rascals, Tommy James and the Shondells,
and The Grass Roots.

I'd like to vote for my least favorite act. That would definitely be
K.C. & The Sunshine Band. Yuck!

Mark

Subject: Re: Apology for not posting/communicating

Sorry to hear about your uncle. Hang in there. My prayers are with you. Mark

Message: 14457 Posted: Sat Nov 11 06:29:27 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: ?????West Palm Beach??????

Ok, so where's a "review" of the WPB concert? huh, Huh, HUH???? Did they play Wind Wave? (waaaaaahh in advance) Were the protest crowds too much to bear? lol! DeTAILS, dahlinks!!!!!!

TkH<---------egos MUST be cute, though.......

Message: 14456 Posted: Sat Nov 11 06:26:54 2000 By: Beechlady

No shock here,

John Taylor (solo stuff is FANTASTIC, self titled album is one of the most underrated and under heard that I know!)

Followed closely by Sting (gargantuan ego aside). I could listen to "Ten Summoners Tales" all year.....(and do)

TkH<-----what is it with me and guys with big EGOS? Geez.

Subject: 2nd favorite

michael card

Howie, you have had more than your share of pain this year. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Be well, my friend.

Subject: Re: 2nd favorite

The Beatles

Hang in there buddy, our thoughts & prayers are with you!!

EDDY & FAMILY

Subject: Re: 2nd favorite

Second favourites? Let's see:

1 Sarah McLachlan

2 Sarah McLachlan

3 Sarah Mclachlan

4 Sarah McLachlan

5 Jewel

6 Chantal Kreviazuk

7 Al Stewart (yes, he's still around and awesome!)

8 Paula Cole (Too bad her "Amen" CD bombed...it deserved to do well)

9 Tara Maclean

10 Renaissance (featuring Annie Haslam)

11 Tori Amos
* almost everthing that I listen to, with the exception of America and Al Stewart had some connection to Lilith Fair.
If I absolutely HAD to choose a second favourite, it would be one of the first four on my list :) LOL

ANDY

Message: 14450 Posted: Fri Nov 10 20:20:05 2000 By: Joe Knight
Subject: 2nd favorite

Great idea here ,but I have always listed my favorites by the decade.(Except America is my favorite band of all time here goes
1950s Elvis !! (I'm sorry I cant help it)
1960s The Beatles (who else?) My 2nd favorite band of all time
The Monkees ( I know ,I know, Im pathetic)
1970s AMERICA
Fleetwood Mac
Seals and Croft
The Doobie Bros
Carly Simon,Carol King, Linda Rhonstat ( I was in love)
James Taylor (fellow North Carolinian)

1980s The Police
Genesis
VAN HALEN my 3rd favorite band of all time
Dan Fogelelberg
1990s Pearl Jam
Alanis Morrisett
Paula Cole ( does it for me big time even though I am old enough to be her Dad) hehehehe sorry
Jewel ( ditto above ) LOL
Anyway thats my list. America will always be my all time favorite!!!
Joe K

Miss Bonnie Raitt, I love her voice and she has such a vast body of work, I could listen to her all day!

Jackson Browne comes in third

Message: 14448 Posted: Fri Nov 10 14:47:28 2000 By: AmericaSL

Good list Shayne. I'm also not ashamed to admit that I like Barry Manilow and The Bee Gees (their recent CD Still Waters is great). But you have to remember that I'm the one who likes "Muskrat Love". As far as a contest goes, let's make it through the Rockers tournament first and then we could consider this. Perhaps in late January or February we could do it. It will be your job to remind us... OK?

Message: 14447 Posted: Fri Nov 10 14:01:17 2000 By: John Lussier

Hmmm. Among my other favorites are reggae artists Third World, Aswad, Big Mountain. Also really like Hall and Oates, Genesis, Michael Tomlinson, Marillion, Peter White, Hugh Masekela, Stephen Bishop. A few Canadian artists I really like are Mae Moore, Jann Arden, Ray Materick. Probably my 2nd favorite artist would have to be...
Johnny Clegg - He's from South Africa and has had 2 groups, Savuka and now Juluka. Great stuff.
Number 3 would be Al Stewart

j

Good thread Johnny.

My second choice is also tough. It used to be the Bee Gees (pre and during disco) and then the Eagles (and Don Henley solo). In the mid 80's, it became Dan Fogelberg (I always loved Netherlands and The Innocent Age - still my all-time favorite CD). In the late 80's it became Billy Joel (I started to listen to his early stuff). That continued until a few years ago when I first heard Alanis Morisette. So I guess she's now my second favorite. Here are my top 10 (if anyone cares):

1. America
2. Alanis Morrisette
3. Billy Joel
4. Don Henley/ The Eagles
5. Electric Light Orchestra (with Jeff Lynne only)
6. The Beatles
7. Dan Fogelberg
8. The Alan Parsons Project (the band, not the bomb)
9. Daryl Hall and John Oates
10. The Temptations, The Miracles and The Four Tops

Honarable Mention: The Cranberries, Alabama, Garth Brooks, Stevie Wonder, The Monkees, Simon and Garfunkel, Barry Manilow (not ashamed to admit), The Bee Gees (again, not ashamed), Styx, The Corrs, Jackson Browne, Bob Seger, Gary Puckett and the Union Gap and of course Elvis Presley.

OK, that like a top 30. I told you it was tough.

Maybe Steve will put together a tournament of our second favorite bands. MAybe everyone can submit 10 and we can list the top 64 in the tourney. Whaddya think?

Shayne

Message: 14445 Posted: Fri Nov 10 13:18:45 2000 By: AmericaSL

My answer is based on this criteria: Besides America, who could I stand to listen to all day? There are several bands/singers who could qualify but I think Elton John wins for me. I have all of his CDs (and he has a bunch) and there's only one of them that I don't care for (a disco CD he came out with). I may not care for him much as a person, but he's a very talented musician and has been making music for a lot of years. FYI: He has had a song in the top 40 every year since 1970. I don't think anyone else can say that.

Subject: Your Second Favorite

The election mess seems to have a MAJOR effect on the stock market and even here with postings. How about the following for our next discussion:

America is our FAVORITE band. What ONE performer, duo, or group is your second favorite. Pick one and only one. Let's say you can list a number of singers but you have to select one from among them as your second most favorite. If you're like me, you naturally would say it's Gerry as a solo artist. But, let's say that's a given as well.

Mine from among my other favorites...Doobie Brothers, Dan Fogelberg, JD Souther, Journey, Celine, Steely Dan, The Mamas And The Papas, Toto, and the Eagles is: DARYL HALL.

Subject: The Beat Goes On

The "Wheels Are Turning" in Albuquerque this morning. A recount of the ballots in New Mexico today has Gore leading Bush by only 106 votes with a number of ballots now missing. Geez!

Message: 14442 Posted: Fri Nov 10 09:33:48 2000 By: Beechlady

No apologies necessary Howard! My thoughts are with your family and your uncle!

TkH<------{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Lieboffs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Message: 14441 Posted: Fri Nov 10 08:41:29 2000 By: AmericaSL
Subject: New 2001 Concert Dates

I'll be updating the concert list this weekend but here are the latest additions for 2001:

1/13/01 Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
2/18/01 Hallendale, FL (Gulfstream Park)
3/15/01 Fort Collins, CO (Lincoln Center)
3/17/01 Mesquite, NV (Casablanca Resort)
5/3/01 Milwaukee, WI (Potawatomi Bingo Casino)
5/4/01 Ft. Wayne, IN (Embassy Theater)
5/5/01 Uncasville, CT (Mohegan Sun Casino)
6/2/01 Stanhope, NJ (Waterloo Village)
10/13/01 Uncasville, CT (Mohegan Sun Casino)

Subject: Political-Related Lyrics

Just working on the art of survivAL
Where do we go from here

Subject: For Howard and Mark

Howard, "i DO believe in miracles" because "all things are possible". Hang tight!

Mark, according to the "All Music Guide", there are 19 entries for the song, "Don't Forget About Me". They include American Breed (1968) and Dusty Springfield but no America. Regarding "Don't Make Me Over", there are 43 entries. They are mainly for Dionne Warwick. None of the entries are for America.

Howard; I'm sorry to hear about your Uncle. You're right, 54 IS young!

Subject: Unknown single.

Mark: I have the California Dreamin' soundtrack. The only America song on it is the title track. I'd check the rest of the track listings on the album but it's at home in Dallas and I'm in L.A. right now. If it is an America song, it's not from California Dreamin'.

KevinS.

Subject: Unknown single????

I was looking through a new edition of one of those "discogrophy" books at Borders the other day and of course checked out the listings they had for America. They had corrected some bad information they had in the previous edition, but they had also added a new entry for America that I had never heard of before. They had an America single list as being released in 1978 with the songs "Don't Forget About Me" / "Don't Make Me Over". It was on the American International label, which was the label that released the California Dreamin soundtrack. I suspect, but don't know since I don't have the soundtrack, that the single may have been from the movie sountrack but not by America since the only song America contributed to the soundtrack was "California Dreamin". But does anybody know for sure? These books are known to have errors in them. Did they just credit the wrong group with the single or is this a forgotten America single that never made the charts?

Howard

So sorry to hear of your trying times. Our prayers are with you!

Howard,

Renee's and my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Shayne

Hang in there Howard!!! Keep the faith . All Things are Possible

Brad

Subject: Re: Ties

I think we'll need lawyers to straighten this out.

Message: 14431 Posted: Thu Nov 09 19:08:31 2000 By: Howard Lieboff
Subject: Apology for not posting/communicating

Hi gang, sorry I haven't told you of what's going on with
contest or supposedly contest. For the past 2-3 weeks, things have
been horrible. My uncle suffered from a congestive heart attack
and because during this attack, he stopped breathing 3x for about 2 to
3 minutes each, this gave him brain damage and will probably never be
the same. It just came on like a ton of bricks. Don't know what's going to happen to him??? His vital signs are atrong but little brain activity and he's on a respirator. 54 years old and so young and a great uncle to get to know. Always teased me about America
as a kid. But I haven't been able to deal with anything these days.
People live your life to the fullest for you never know what tomorrow
will bring or will not bring. God bless, Howard L

Subject: Re: Last nite's chat

There WERE a lot of people last night. I had a blast!

Terry T is right as usual. Leave it to America to come up with something for EVERY occasion!

Subject: Re: Last nite's chat

I'm not a consistent visitor to the Live Chat but last night was the most folks I've seen there...guessing around 10-11 during one period. Was fun!

More political related lyrics thanks to TerryT who mentioned them to me in a message today :

There's no winner in this game
Oh, Wednesday morning...

l

Subject: Last nite's chat

Thanks to all who were there! A nice lively group despite the fact that the system kept booting people out and at one point wouldn't let me back in!

Do you suppose this ties in to the problems in Florida?

Subject: Re: Ties

Better ask Gov. Bush of Florida. Something is screwed up down there.

Message: 14426 Posted: Thu Nov 09 11:07:00 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: Ties

So basically (if I remember this correctly), if there's a tie on the Rocker Contest we have to throw out all the West Palm Beach County votes? Does that mean a run off or a law suit BEFORE the run off???? Does the dead vote really matter?

TkH<----vote early, vote often

Subject: To Howard and Daisyjane64

Howdy! I have received both of the packages sent...THANK YOU so much!
Daisyjane64...I wrote back to you and sent compensation; but Howard...how would you like me to get compensation to you? Remember, you actually sent TWO...so bill me accordingly! I really enjoyed receiving America "goodies" through the mail! Thanks again!

Nina

Message: 14424 Posted: Thu Nov 09 05:00:48 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: Re: 2nd round

Like I said last night at chat-
Everything in the second round is FATE.....lololololol
Sorry, dude!!! (C%

TkH<-------mistress of voting evil

Message: 14423 Posted: Thu Nov 09 04:58:59 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: Florida Woes.....

Ugh. I move to Florida and all hell breaks loose. I think it's that bad karma following me around.....{rofl} Actually I don't think I can take ALL the blame for this one Johnny, Lori and Terry can join in on the fun here....lolololol!!!!!

TkH<----not a native! (C%

Message: 14422 Posted: Wed Nov 08 19:36:36 2000 By: AmericaSL
Subject: Re: 2nd round

I think Muskrat Love would have made it to the second round if I would have counted the misplaced votes from Florida!

I GOT BOOTED AND IT WOULD NOT LOAD BACK UP!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!

Subject: 2nd round

"here" vs. "riverside". give me a break!! hey, steve, i didn't see that muskrat song in the second round :-).

Subject: Political Poachers

The lyrics to Dewey's "Political Poachers" are so appropriate for the current political happenings:

Political poachers push plump packages (uncounted ballots perhaps)
Past pacified places
Concerned citizens cry crude conduct
Cause Captain Command

Prize shipment tonight
Tomorrow tame tempers
To touch tender time

Subject: Re: America

They're already co-presidents of AMERICA so why not. Right-on Pete!

Beech, you live in Florida. Could all the problems there possibly be your fault? LOL (It's fun to blame someone else.)

Thanks Steve. You are right about the chat! We've had a nice group the past few weeks.

Message: 14416 Posted: Wed Nov 08 07:45:33 2000 By: AmericaSL

Robyn, it seems like you get a pretty good turnout on Wednesday nights for the chat so I'm going to change the home page to indicate that the "official" weekly chat will be on Wednesdays from now on (instead of Thursdays). The reason I had it on Thursdays was so it wouldn't conflict with the AOL chats that took place on Wednesdays but those have died out so I'll go ahead and change ours to Wednesday the next time I update the web site. That way you won't have to post a reminder every Wednesday (although it would probably still be a good idea to do it). Have a great chat tonight everyone!

Tonite. after 7 p.m. Pacific See everyone there.

Subject: Re: America

Either way-- there's a ticket we can ALL support!

Subject: America

How about Gerry Beckley and Dewey Bunnell for President and VP.

Message: 14412 Posted: Wed Nov 08 04:19:46 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: Re: West Palm Concert/Mel

Man, I hope you hear WINDWAVE.........S-I-G-H!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TkH<-------oiling the hinges

Subject: Re: My soapbox

I meant those who voted for Governor Bush would be upset. Of course, beig a good Jewish boy from Texas doesn't automatically ean I'm voting for Gore/Lieberman (although I do have a tremendous amount of respect for the Senator as I do Dick Cheney - more than Bush and Gore combined). I guess I'll be the only one who knows (and cares).

Shayne
I'm a mad dog in times like these

Subject: My soapbox

Johnny, I voted for them also. Only their names were different on the ballots in Texas, Well, regardless who wins, at least Hillary didn't. What? oh,no. I am certainly glad I live 1600 miles away from NY.

BTW, I just said that those who voted would be upset with whom I voted for. I never said who it was. Coulda been a write-in for Johnny.

Thanks for the well wishes. The doc tells me that there is a 90% chance of full recovery. Hopefully, I'll be back to work in 7-10 weeks. Since we're in a hiring freeze now, guess they don't need a Corporate Trainer now anyway.

Shayne
Won't know till the sun comes up again (Election edition)

Message: 14409 Posted: Tue Nov 07 16:14:58 2000 By: mel clayton
Subject: Re: West Palm Concert

Hopefully I will be there.I try to see them when they are in Florida I seen them on the 4th and they were great.I will tell you all about it when I get back. I sure hope they play a few from "Moving Train", they sound as good as they did some twenty years ago!!!!!!. Mel :)

Message: 14408 Posted: Tue Nov 07 15:18:00 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: Ventura Highway

I think ANY town looks good in snow.......S-I-G-H

TkH<-----nanook

Subject: Re: Acoustic Tour - Johnny

If it weren't for Dan, Grand Cayman wouldn't even cross my mind. I'd choose someplace in the South Pacific, or maybe your neck of the woods. But, what if someone invited me to the Caymans? Iíd be gone in a minute.

That brings us to another puzzling Question. Who invited Gerry and Dewey to the Caymans?

By the way, I could use a few weeks of Ventura Highway in winter ďSome people say this town don't look good in snowĒ. But, only after I get plenty of skiing on the Best Cold Dry Snow on Earth. Utah skiing opens this weekend, and Salt Lake City looks good in snow. Hopeing for the same in 2002.

Mike Bunn> Yes, I voted.

HMMMM, let's see...... the Cayman's in January or Febrary vs what promises to be a cold wet winter in lala land...... gee, Mike, which would YOU choose?

Message: 14405 Posted: Tue Nov 07 11:52:12 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: Soapbox Voting?

Ah yes. The black hole of democracy this year. How can one country filled with such promise have two absolute GOONS running for it's top position? With all the intelligent, well rounded, WONDERFUL people out there we end up with a dubious pair of near-well-doers that only want to be there because their Pops dynasties forbade them any other choice. UGH. I guess you know where I stand, eh? LOL I could site MY personal oppositions to both candidates, but, well after tomorrow it's a mote point. SO,,,,,,,,,,,,(sigh)

Shayne hope your surgery is painless and completely successful!!! (C=

TkH<-------Toronto's looking good despite the GST (C%

Not to influence anyone on the national election, I'll mention some of the local candidates I plan to vote for:

Thomas George for City Mayor
Susan Dubble-Ewe for County Treasurer
Ken Shrub for District 2 Judge

Shayne, you should have stayed in bed. I'm strictly concerned about your health! :0 ) Seriously, I hope you're doing well (especially since I'll be blamed if your'e not).

Message: 14403 Posted: Tue Nov 07 10:12:49 2000 By: AmericaSL

Best of luck with the surgery, Shayne. We'll all be pulling for you.

Well, I got out of bed and voted (not that my vote will count in Texas) and I'm not going to say who I voted for. Let's just say It wasn't a very poular vote here in the Lone Star State.

Having surgery again next week. I clearly blame Johnny.

If I can get out and vote, anybody can.

Shayne

Ok..Steve climbing down, my turn...get your little behinds out and vote! Not to mention who I am voting FOR...and this is not a plug by any means..but a bird in the hand is worth two in the BUSH.

Thank you. AND now to scroll to see what I've missed the last few days.. :-)

Subject: Concert Hall 10+5

W omen Tonight
O nly in your heart
O ld man took
D aisy Jane
S ister Golden Hair

P ages
A nother try
L onely People
M irror to mirror
E very one I meet is from California
R ainbow song

W indwave
I nspector Mills
L onely People
D onít cross the river

Subject: My top 10 + 3

Here's my addition to this thread.

D onít Cross the River
A Horse with no name
N ever found the time

D onít let it get you down
E ven the score
W heels are turning
E very one I meet is from California
Y oung moon

G arden of peace
E mma
R iverside
R ight back to me
Y ou can do magic

Subject: One Definition of Irony

A famous ex-football star owns a pair of XL gloves bought by his wife. An XL glove for the left hand is found at the scene of a double-murder. The right one is found on his property behind some living quarters. The ex-star has a cut to one of his fingers on his left hand. Bloody shoe prints are found at the scene with blood droplets on the ground that are located to the left of the shoe prints.

This is an example of "irony".

Message: 14397 Posted: Tue Nov 07 07:42:28 2000 By: AmericaSL
Subject: My Soapbox

I just got back from voting and as I was pondering the many candidates it occurred to me that if we don't like any of the major candidates we could always write in Johnny. After all, don't we all like to blame our problems on the person that occupies the White House and Johnny has been real good at accepting the blame for everything we can think of.

In all seriousness, get out and vote for the people who best represent you. I lived for two years in Colombia where I learned that freedom isn't something that should be taken for granted. The right to vote is one of those freedoms that we should all be grateful for.

SteveL <-- getting off of my soap box now

Message: 14396 Posted: Tue Nov 07 07:35:09 2000 By: John Lussier

My thoughts exactly. For all the teachers out there...here's an opportunity for a lesson on the meaning of irony.

j

I just looked in the mirror and sure enough...I do have "stupid" written on my forehead! LOL

Trivia Question for Johnny

Why, of all the islands in the world, are Dewey & Gerry going to play alone on the same island as Bodden town ?

Message: 14393 Posted: Tue Nov 07 04:23:31 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: Bootie

Scraping mine off with a large shovel.....lol

TkH<-------"shake shake shake"/rumble rumble rumble

Message: 14392 Posted: Tue Nov 07 04:19:59 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: Re: New Contest?

>>Regarding "sex requires thought", not really. Two choices...with or without someone.

TYPICAL MALE.....Oh, JOHNNY.........rofl.

TkH<------vote early, vote often!

Subject: Re: Acoustic Tour

Sorry about that Brad My Man! Of course, it's only my opinion. Stranger things have happened, as they say. However, I just don't see it happening, truthfully. I think the only third person with an acoustic guitar joining D&G will be one of us and that will only last until security hauls our bootie off stage. Now wouldn't that be a sight?

Johnny About there be not being 3 people on stage...Don't burst my bubble okay?
Regards, Brad

Message: 14389 Posted: Mon Nov 06 16:44:45 2000 By: David Perkins
Subject: Re: Important notice

You are actually going to *vote* for this illiterate!?!

Subject: In Da House

Yes Beechlady that's EXACTLY what it means Here's my house mix

All My life
Submarine Ladies
Another Try
Garden of Peace
Head and Heart
Hope
Moment to Moment
Oloololo
Pages
Sarah

There's no reason an acoustic tour couldn't include the rest of the band. Instead of playing electric, Woods could play an acoustic and you could still use a bass and precussion.

Regarding "sex requires thought", not really. Two choices...with or without someone.

Asked a friend once how old he was when he lost his virginity. He said, "Does my dog count?" Now that ISN"T my fault! I replied, "I dunno unless it's been to school."

Message: 14385 Posted: Mon Nov 06 12:26:56 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: Re: Monster?

I say it's all Johnny's fault.

TkH<-----teflon undergarments

Message: 14384 Posted: Mon Nov 06 12:26:13 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: Monster?

Ohmygwad, what monster have I wrought? How many ties are there anyway! WOW. What choices. Ok, ok, now I'M whinning, guess that makes whinning ALL OK NOW........sigh. So go ahead. Give me your best whines..... This whole random thing has to go. GO NOW.....lololol......

TkH<-----rice krispie neck

Message: 14383 Posted: Mon Nov 06 12:20:53 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: Re: top 10

Yo, so does this mean RO-Byn is IN the HOUSE?
(C%

TkH<------psyCHIC.....

Message: 14382 Posted: Mon Nov 06 12:18:51 2000 By: Beechlady

Personally right now I'd take the DRUGS (sex requires thought, Rock and Roll requires more thought)......(just kidding)

TkH<------caffein, starch, alcohol and sugar. The four food groups.

Message: 14381 Posted: Mon Nov 06 12:04:40 2000 By: daisyjane64
Subject: Nina

Just wanted to let you know I sent out what I promised to send you today.Sorry been very busy.Finally had time to go to the post office. Lisa

I would need two cds, one for the house and one for the car, so

CAR MIX
Ventura Highway
Riverside
Here--live version
California Revisited
Catch that train
Coastline
Green Monkey
Hat Trick
Wheels are Turning

I'll post my house mix later!

Subject: New Contest?

Hey Beech; have you started a new contest? Sex, Drugs, or Rock n' Roll?

Message: 14378 Posted: Mon Nov 06 08:47:01 2000 By: John Lussier

Here's my top 10

Young Moon
Amber Cascades
ONe Morning
Jody
Today's The Day
Sister Golden Hair
Ventura Highway
Hattrick
Till THe SUn Comes Upp Again
Here

Bonus Tracks found on the Canadian import

High in the City
From a Moving Train

j

Pat, I'm sure the Cayman Islands acoustic show will in no way interfere with the other band members' salary. Perhaps, this show IS on the band's day-off. I have no doubt that it will happen. The date is set, January 13. The thing that I DON't think will happen is that there will be three performers on stage with acoustic guitars.

Message: 14376 Posted: Mon Nov 06 04:32:05 2000 By: Beechlady

Johnny's right! LOL
I vote for sex (and drugs and Rock & Roll)......anyone else??????

ROFL

TkH<------charter member, Disturbed Party

Subject: Acoustic Tour

As much as I would be quite interested in seeing America do an acoustic tour, I don't think it will happen and it shouldn't happen since there are 3 other people in the band (plus the road crew) who depend on the gigs for their livelihood.
Maybe they could squeeze in a few acoustic gigs on their off nights?

whatever your party affiliation VOTE. I would like to remind the ladies that we have only been able to do this since 1920! as a granddaughter of a sufferagist,(not sufferagette!!!) I encourage everyone to vote!

Robyn, I thought you would say to Mark and Bones, "Telling Democrats to vote on Wednesday November 8, is the only way you Republicans boys are going to win!"

They say not to talk about politics, sex, or religion. If we're going to violate this rule, can you talk about sex instead? :0 )

That's not nice fellas. Can we please keep politics off the board? Thanks!

Mr Gores response to Mr Bush getting arrested for DUI 25 years ago was - I invented Beer.

Subject: Important notice

Due to an anticipated voter turnout, much larger than originally expected, the polling facilities may not be able to handle the load all at once.

Therefore, Republicans are requested to vote on Tuesday, November 7, and Democrats on Wednesday, November 8.
;)

Message: 14369 Posted: Sun Nov 05 14:00:54 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: West Palm Concert

I do hope someone is going on Friday to West Palm to see the guys! Unfortunatly I can't )))C% I have a 10 year old that would NOT sit thru a concert of ANY sort (even under Mommy inflicted duress) and it's just he and I that day.....hopefully someone can go and give a detailed report!!!!!!! Lori? Anyone???

TkH<-------Adderal anyone?

Message: 14368 Posted: Sun Nov 05 13:55:39 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: Anagrams

Um, Johnny, Santa NEVER tells...lol

TkH<--------"green" alien that has voting priviliges

Message: 14367 Posted: Sun Nov 05 13:51:38 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: Stuffed Muskrats

I KNEW IT....THEY'RE ALL RIGGED.......Oh, STEVE, you should be ASHAMED.......(roflmao-H!!!!!)

TkH<-----feeling a little "green"

Subject: Was "Clickin' Around"

Did anyone see Madonna on Letterman Friday night? Maybe not on purpose, huh? LOL! She played the acoustic guitar and sang. Did a fine job, too.

I wonder what's the deal with the western stuff lately? Is it making a comeback from the late 70s, early 80s. With Madonna wearing a sequined black western outfit and Henley (Mr. "No One's Cooler Than Me") singing his new "My Wedding Day" song on Country Music Television, I'm starting to have a hankerin' for a wind wave, myself.

Watched a bit of "Radio Music Awards" last night and saw for myself what Leaky was saying about "Dewey's Twin" from the Backstreet Boys. I definitely could see what Leaky mentioned last month or so, especially the profile.

Subject: Nina

Hi Nina! What a coincidence! I was composing my message and submitted it and just saw yours afterwards.

Subject: Acoustic Show and Top 10 List

Hopefully, Gerry and Dewey will do more acoustic shows throughout the U.S. in 2001 or at least one that's more centralized such as in Kansas, maybe? Nevertheless, it's wonderful news! When we were discussing Fogelberg's acoustic shows not long ago, it made me really long for such a show by D&G. Boy, don't you know that's going to be an AWESOME show!!!

My Top 10:

Baby It's Up To You
Green Monkey
California Revisited
Wednesday Morning
Might Be Your Love
Jody
In The Country
From A Moving Train
It's Life
Survival
Bonus Tracks:
Last Two To Dance
Penny Lane (Wishing for a cover by D&G...hint, hint)

(Beech, I'm still waiting for the answer to Santa's anagram secret.)

Subject: Johnny/Howard/LisaRose/DaisyJane64

Please excuse me while I use this folder as my personal e-mail....BUT as you may or may not know my computer is dead! (Somebody tell Gerry that I need a good deal on a DELL computer!!!!)

Johnny....HI to you, too! I NOW know how YOU felt while you were off the web for awhile!

Howard...The item you sent me has NO sound and NO picture? I'll try to e-mail you about it. I DO appreciate receiving it, though!

LisaRose...My school's proposed trip to RadioCity Music Hall in NYC has been cancelled...Darn It! Faculty "may" be going in early December, but not classes.

DaisyJane...Hi! Just letting you know that I haven't yet received the item promised to me? It's OK if it's NOT coming...but just wanted YOU to know IF you sent it, it never got here!

GREAT news about Gerry and Dewey's acoustic concert! Hey Bones,...take me to the Cayman Islands, please? (How's school? Looking forward to Thanksgiving break, I'll bet?!)

Nina

Subject: Accoustic concert

Awesome news about the accoustic concert!!! I hope they plan to make a video of it for guys like me who still can't afford Highway, Go Man Go or the Beckley, Lamm, Wilson CD, say nothing about a trip to the Cayman Islands. At least I could collect bottles on the side of the road to scrape up the money for the video!

Message: 14361 Posted: Sun Nov 05 09:58:23 2000 By: AmericaSL
Subject: Re: To Erin SteveL & Margaret

Long may they tour, but have they ever indicated a desire to slow it down and cut back on touring?

Chris, I know the day will come when they will cut back on their touring but I've heard them say that they want to continue touring as long as they can. I believe there are a couple of reasons why. First of all, they enjoy performing for and mingling with their fans. Second, it does "put bread on the table". I think that Gerry and Dewey could probably live comfortably on the money they receive from all the songs they have released over the years, but they have a concern for the livelihood of the other band members. I've heard Gerry and Dewey say that that's one of the reasons they can't take off for long periods of time to put together an album. Isn't that just like Gerry and Dewey, always concerned and watching out for others!

So, who knows how long they'll continue touring? But they put on such a great show now that I suspect it will be for many years yet to come. Keep on rocking guys!

--Steve

P.S. I'm going to have to start stuffing the ballot box for Muskrat Love before the first round ends at midnight tonight (LOL).

Message: 14360 Posted: Sat Nov 04 14:29:04 2000 By: Joe Knight
Subject: Top 20

I forgot to mention that these were favorite Dewey Songs from the 70s. I have another CD that I burned with 20 or so songs from the 80s and 90s. ........................................Joe K

Message: 14359 Posted: Sat Nov 04 14:25:52 2000 By: Joe Knight
Subject: top 10

I made a CD of my favorite America songs and I got 22 songs on the CD. In fact I couldn't even chose 22, so I made 2 CDs and they were just Deweys songs! A 650 MB disc is more than enough memory for 20 songs so we should make it A TOP 20. Heres my Top 20 of Deweys Songs. next post lets name a top 20 for Gerry and Dan.............
Riverside
Sandman "new live version"
Three Roses
A Horse with no name
Ventura Highway
Moon Song
Wind Wave
Rainbow Song
Tin Man
Donkey Jaw (Satan)
Green Monkey
Company
People in the Valley
Seasons
Cornwall Blank
Hollywood
Old man Took
Political Poachers
California Dreamin
Molten Love...........................Thanks Joe K

Subject: Re: My Top 10+2

I think having kidney stones would be far less painful than choosing my 10 essential America songs. I couldn't even choose 10, I cheated and choose 12! (my CD had extra room so I took advantage of it, LOL)

1. Riverside
2. Three Roses
3. Rainy Day
4. Ventura Highway
5. To Each His Own
6. Don't Cross the River
7. Till The Sun Comes Up Again
8. Cornwall Blank
9. Bell Tree
10. Baby It's Up To You
11. Old Man Took
12. Wheels Are Turning

Subject: My Top 10

1. A Horse with no Name
2. Survival
3. The border
4. Old Man Took
5. Ventura Highway
6. She's a Runaway
7. Young Moon
8. California Dreaming
9. Gren Monkey
10. You Could've been the one
honorable mention- These Brown eyes

Very difficult to chose the top 10, but there they are.

Mark

Subject: various & sundry

alan, thx for your correction on my 'please come to boston' song. you don't wanna make any mistakes here where everyone can "see" it, but it's not so bad as long as you get the america stuff right! a little rocker tournament update...somewhat surprisingly 'wheels' is the leading vote getter so far in the first round with 41 votes followed closely by my predicted winners 'here' & 'sandman' with 39 votes each. 'hat trick' :-) is doing quite well with 35 votes. ...how's that muskrat song doing steve l :-)???

Subject: Re: My 10/ Andy's list

Hat Trick
Children
California Revisited
Glad to See You
Tomorrrow
Sgt. Darkness
Tall Treasure
No Fortune
Loves worn out again
Inspector Mills
*honourable mention: MY DEAR

Subject: My 10

I still go for the songs that made me go out and buy all their records in the first place. They had then, and still have, such a strong appeal to all the senses with their songs of optimism delivered with precise harmonies and powerful lyrics. So I settle for HISTORY, perhaps dropping Muskrat Love and Woman Tonight to get it back to 10 tracks. If I could replace those 2 songs on HISTORY, it would be with Today's The Day and Amber Cascades to keep it all Gerry, Dewey and Dan as my top songs.
For me though, I still love an awful lot of their stuff since 1975 too!!!
Chris

Subject: To Erin SteveL & Margaret

Thanks Steve ...... and Margaret. I've only been on the net since April this year, so I missed their last visit Down Under. Rest assured we will make them welcome again.
Steve - out of interest, Gerry and Dewey tour extensively with their band. This is great for us (especially you guys in the States). Maybe we are all being a bit selfish in expecting them to keep up this pace?
Long may they tour, but have they ever indicated a desire to slow it down and cut back on touring?
Thanks for all your feedback too - it is just so great to be able to get in touch so easily on your chat folder. Well done and keep all the news coming!
Chris

Message: 14352 Posted: Sat Nov 04 06:43:28 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: My 10

Never Found The Time
Political Poachers
Bell Tree
Windwave
Willow Tree Lullabye
Submarine Ladies
Young Moon
Till The Sun Comes Up Again
Hollywood
Amber Cascades

Wow, I've guess I've been pretty fair.....hmmmmmm.....also I won't whine if you include a LOT more, .aiffs are MUCH smaller than .wavs and I've found you can pack a lot more of them together on a disc-er-ahhhh (OOPS-lol).......

TkH<-----no I haven't DONE THAT......

Message: 14351 Posted: Sat Nov 04 06:33:31 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: Re: New Thread?

Now I also realize that this has been done in the past, BUT tastes change...........

TkH<------proud owner of 9 PA's but no SR's.....SIGH.....

Message: 14350 Posted: Sat Nov 04 06:30:22 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: New Thread?

Here's one to ponder...........
Ok. So I'm being REALLY REALLY BAD. I decide to "make" my own America CD.....I'm going to choose 10 (or 80 minutes if you want to be a REAL STICKLER about it)songs from ANY of their CD's (including solo work). It'll be my ultimate "I gotta take this WITH me CD" (perhaps keeping me from trucking all 30 odd saucers around).
Now before any copyright-napsterhating-infringment type lawyers come after me--this is a hypo, K? (C= I'll post mine after I've thought about it for a couple of minutes....(LOL)

TkH<---------sun poisoning is GOOD for the soul

Message: 14349 Posted: Sat Nov 04 06:24:20 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: A Song Tourney scolding.....ROFL!

For all of you who have been "lambasting" me (snicker) about the song pairings I have an interesting aside for you! (C=
Not ONE TIE! There isn't really any CLOSE pairings in the first round (at least that I scanned in a nanosecond-I consider close 1 or 2 votes away from each other)!!!!!! So, STOP YER WHINNING! (C=

(The proceeding announcemental tone is a JOKE!)

TkH<--------Having a "moment"......

Message: 14348 Posted: Sat Nov 04 02:09:50 2000 By: Margaret
Subject: Re:To Erin&Steve L

October to January is traditionally the time that America visits Australia. We have been spoilt in recent years with annual visits. It is almost a year now since the last tour and we have heard nothing of a proposed tour. Holiday is not the only one in Australia hanging out for a speedy return! Steve, if you hear anything, please let us know immediately.

Subject: Re: Acoustic.

With A video, at That!!

Subject: Re: Acoustic.

Wouldn't it be great if Dan Peek did the next CD with them!

Subject: Acoustic.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a next CD?

Subject: Acoustic

Sounds to me like a great step in the right direction. Wouldn't it be exciting if the next CD was pure acoustic?

(Johnny and Howard, thanks)

Message: 14343 Posted: Fri Nov 03 14:01:23 2000 By: AmericaSL
Subject: Re: Cayman Islands!...How about?

Mike, I think you've been reading Erin's mind. 'Nuff said.

Subject: Acoustic.

When America was on Regis a couple of weeks ago with just them and their guitars I remember thinking it seemed like they had fun just stripping it back to the basics, and wouldn't it be great if this were the impetis for an album or a flourish of songs that got back to the original America sound. Maybe this concert in the Caymans is another step in that process.

KevinS.

Message: 14341 Posted: Fri Nov 03 12:30:53 2000 By: Stephen Baratta
Subject: Cayman Islands Gig

HHMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!

Gerry and Dewey in the Caymans by themselves. Wouldn't it be very easy for a third person(D.P.)to hop on stage with his guitar and join in.

It wouldn't make any one else in the band mad because they are not there!!!!!

-----------> VERY INTERESTING

Steve

Message: 14340 Posted: Fri Nov 03 12:23:40 2000 By: John Lussier

Maybe someone could track down that ol' America jet. It could fly around, pick us all up at various locations, transport us to the concert... What a blast!
j

Don't give up hope on another concert missed Howard. Didn't Erin's posts mention a cool contest that's coming up. That would be cool if the contest involved the Caymen Islands.

What a dream vacation - Dewey, Gerry, Dan and America Fans soaking up the rays, surf, and an Acoustic set away from the hustle of making a living. Any Fans out there with connections to the travel industry? A low cost America Fans tour to the Caymen Islands might make the Dream possible for some? We could name the tour ďHarryís Fans go surfingĒ.

Subject: Re: New Acoustic America Show

I wish I could see it. I have said for years they should do an unplugged tour one year just for a change of pace. If they ever do another live CD, I hope it's an unplugged performance similar to the live tracks on the Heard CD.

Message: 14337 Posted: Fri Nov 03 08:12:06 2000 By: Howard Lieboff
Subject: Cayman Islands!...How about?

Hey, how about a concert here in Central Park on the lawn.
I'm sure Rudy and Hilary would pick up the tab. yeah right?
I think that acoustic concert should be taped especially for us fans.
oh well, another concert that I missed. Hey, maybe Dan can put
all of us up at his house. How about it Dan?LOL

Message: 14336 Posted: Fri Nov 03 07:38:44 2000 By: AmericaSL
Subject: Re: To Erin and SteveL

Chris, I believe there's a good chance that the guys will make it back to Australia but who knows if it will happen in 2001 or later. They seem to enjoy themselves down under and I know they have a lot of appreciative fans there. All I can say is keep checking the schedule and let's hope that it happens for you sometime in the not too distant future. --SteveL (who is also hoping for some Utah gigs in 2001).

Message: 14335 Posted: Fri Nov 03 07:24:14 2000 By: Beechlady

Maybe I can raft over there......(C; The gulfstream has been up to 12' though lately, better make it a GOOD raft....Gotta say, sea water does NOTHING for one's couf!!!!!

TkH<-------send Petroleum Jelly....LOTS OF IT....

Subject: To Erin and SteveL

It is great news about an accoustic show, but the Carribean is a long way from Australia and we would love to see the guys again Down Under. I'll even fly across the country to see them if they can put us on the 2001 tour ".... to ports-of-call .... maybe Australia but not North African sands .... complete the mission, supply and demand.
Any chance of it happening?

Subject: Riverside to Moving Songs

I've been away but enjoyed the posts over the last week on the 'songs that moved you' theme. I agree with the comment that Gerry and Dewey still write songs from the heart. I can't go past 'Ventura Highway' from Dewey and 'I Need You' from Gerry. I don't know if Gerry is the romantic and Dewey is the greenie, but these were my first impressions back in 1972! Dewey has always been awesome. And yes, who else is still bringing out such great new material after 30 years?

I also see that the discussion widened to non-America songs that touched your heart. Indulge me with my top ten:
In My Life - Beatles
You've Got a Friend - Carole King
God Only Knows - Beach Boys
Doctor My Eyes - Jackson Browne
Father and Son - Cat Stevens
If You Could Read My Mind - Gordon Lightfoot
Lyin' Eyes - Eagles
He's My Brother - Hollies
Daniel - Elton John
Come Monday - Jimmy Buffett (ok, I did say indulge me here). Stop me before I start on John Denver ..................
And to whoever it was with Crowded House - I'm with you too - maybe Something So Strong.
Regards friends
Chris

Subject: Acoustic Show

Hello everyone,splendid news.Well our much travelled troubadours will find themselves in some glorious winter sunshine,indeed some of the fans including myself have been baying for some sort of acoustic hoedown for sometime.Cayman Islands, isn't that in Dan Peek's neck of the coconut grove?

Subject: Re: New Acoustic America Show / My challange

Okay,
I have to figure out a way to convince Dewey and Gerry that the Cayman Islands is actually in my back yard here on Long Island, New York. LOL

ANDY

What fantastic news....AMERICA unplugged...The only thing that could top it is if Dan Peek could be involved! Let's all go "BACK TO THE FUTURE"

Message: 14329 Posted: Thu Nov 02 15:51:23 2000 By: John Lussier

Ok, I gotta find an educational conference in the Caymans to go to. (I have a fair bit of $ in my professional Development fund at school to use for conferences, books etc.) Maybe I could visit a couple of schools there, see the concert and have the whole thing paid for. Hmmm. Got potential.
j

Message: 14328 Posted: Thu Nov 02 15:41:04 2000 By: AmericaSL

What fantastic news! Can you imagine a giant America beach party on Grand Cayman in January? Start looking for cheap fares and putting in your vacation requests. I'm sure Erin will have more exciting news about the concert and I'll keep you all informed here on the chat folder and via the What's New section of the America Fans web site. I'll also be receiving some new concert dates from Erin very soon and I'll get them posted right away.

Message: 14327 Posted: Thu Nov 02 15:30:27 2000 By: Erin Edwards
Subject: New Acoustic America Show

Hi everyone. My name is Erin Edwards and I work for America's management company, Morey Management Group. I wanted to let everyone know about a show that America is doing in January in the Cayman Islands. The show will be Saturday, January 13, 2001 on Grand Cayman. What is unique about this is that the show will be an acoustic performance featuring only Gerry and Dewey. We don't have the exact venue yet but it will be right on the beach. Very cool!

We would love to see everyone come down to the Caribbean and join us for this very special show. Please keep an eye on Steve's news page and also venturahighway.com for new details about the show and a cool contest we're cooking up.

Thanks everyone for all your support of the band and all the great feedback. Keep it coming!

-Erin

Message: 14326 Posted: Thu Nov 02 10:35:13 2000 By: AmericaSL
Subject: 70's Music Quiz

Kiri found a web page that has the lyrics to 206 popular songs from the 70's (yes, America is included). You might enjoy looking at these songs and seeing how many you know while you're waiting for the next round of the Rockers Song Tournament to roll around. Thanks Kiri.

The 70's Music Quiz (www.auburn.edu/~musewiv/70quiz.htm)

Subject: Re: Another Birthday Today If We Read His Post Correctly

Happy, Happy Birthday to you Pat (B. Goode)!

Message: 14324 Posted: Thu Nov 02 07:52:28 2000 By: Howard Lieboff
Subject: Another Birthday Today If We Read His Post Correctly

Hey, PatB...
Happy Birthday fellow America Fan.
Have A Great Day and Enjoy :0)
HL

Subject: Thanks

to all who chatted this evening. Great turnout, lively discussion.

Subject: Re: Dave Loggins

Thanks for clearing that up Alan. I knew it wasn't Kenney Loggins, but couldn't think of the name myself. I saw "Please come to Boston" performed live in an opening act. Might have even been an America concert I went to in about 1974.

Happy Birthday Dan. Really enjoying your biography.

Subject: Movings songs - and a correction

I've been catching up on all the posts of the last few days and have seen a lot of great songs mentioned - Wasted Time by the Eagles, Time In A Bottle by Jim Croce, Watching The River Run by Loggins and Messina, The Innocent Age and The Reach by Dan Fogelberg (especially the latter, having lived in Maine all my life), Don't Dream It's Over by Crowded House - all great songs. I would like to add these to my list:

The Sand And The Foam, Stars & The Last Nail by Dan Fogelberg
Hard Way Every Time, Age and I Got A Name - Jim Croce
Secret O' Life and Walkin Man - James Taylor
That Same Old Obsession, Minstrel Of The Dawn and The Soul Is The Rock by Gordon Lightfoot
The Heart Of The Matter by Don Henley
The Last Resort, My Man and Pretty Maids All In A Row by The Eagles
Call And Answer by Barenaked Ladies
Dust Down A Country Road and The River Knows Your Name by John Hiatt
...to name a few

Moving America songs:
From a MOVING Train
Your MOVE
Valentine (She MOVES oh so fine...)
...just kidding! here's the REAL list:
Wheels Are Turning
Sarah
Tomorrow
Old Man Took
Another Try
One In A Million
All My Life
Till The Sun Comes Up Again
Pages

And a correction (actually a clarification) to msmith: Please Come To Boston was done by neither Kenny Loggins nor Loggins And Messina - it was done by Dave Loggins, whom I believe is either a brother or cousin to Kenny - just in case you care. It is a great song though, no matter who does it.

Subject: Happy birthday, Dan!

Just caught up on a few days posts and realized it's your birthday, so I wanted to join the other chatters in wishing you a happy one!

Subject: dan's birthday

happy birthday dan. thanks for all the great music and for the on line biography too. ...filled the room with flowers from norway, sensed her majesty in the air, made a sign 'bove your doorway, to show i care...

Message: 14318 Posted: Wed Nov 01 16:09:51 2000 By: daisyjane64
Subject: Happy Birthday Dan!

Hope you have a great day and you have many more to come!

Message: 14317 Posted: Wed Nov 01 16:07:04 2000 By: Beechlady
Subject: Re: Dan Peek's Birthday:

Yo Tom,,,,,
Is it better to be 50 or 40? Just askin' (C=

TkH<-----feeling 80...lol

29...isn't that Gerry's favorit number...LOL

Subject: Pat B, You're Not 29!

Pat, you're not 29! You're 21 or 22 (42-21 or 42-20). Aren't you glad to know you're even "younger" than you thought?

(Hi Nina)

Subject: Still lurking!

Hi all! Just letting you know I'm STILL lurking around the Chat Folder and enjoying reading all your news and comments. My computer/ server is still screwy...so I try to use my sister's computer once a week to check in! You don't realize how addicted you become until you're WITHOUT access to the web! Now that I can't check in everyday, or at least every other day, I feel like I'm missing something! My school "should be" connected to the web by the middle of November...so that will help until I can raise enough money for a new computer at home! (Gee...if they paid teachers what we are worth, I'd have no problem footing the bill! I'll get off my soapbox now!)

Happy LATE Halloween! HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAN!

Nina

Subject: Dan Peek's Birthday:

Happy 29th birthday Dan!

My birthday is tomorrow!

I'll be turning 29 too!

PB>---------------------------->>>(29+13)

Subject: chat this evening

7 pm Pacific. See you there!

Gee, Tom thanks for clearing THAT up ( roflol)

Have a wonderful whatever-it-is birthday Dan!

Subject: Dan Peek's Birthday:

My baby brother Dan says thanks to everyone for the Birthday greetings! But he does want to clear one thing up... Dan says, "The rumors of me being 50 are greatly exaggerated. It is great to be just good old 29".

Subject: Re: 49 or 50?

Even the website 9online lists it today!
http://9online.com/today/today.htm

Message: 14308 Posted: Wed Nov 01 08:55:09 2000 By: AmericaSL
Subject: Re: 49 or 50?

I'm fairly certain that Dan was born November 1, 1950 so he is 50 years old today. The Highway booklet must be wrong.

Subject: 49 or 50?

Is Dan 49 or 50 today? The "Highway" booklet says Dan was born in 1951.

Subject: Re: Happy Birthday Dan !

The Big five-oh! Way to go, Dan!

Happy Birthday,

Shayne

Message: 14305 Posted: Wed Nov 01 06:04:03 2000 By: Howard Lieboff
Subject: Happy Birthday Dan !

Happy 50th Birthday to Dan Peek!
Hope you have a great day and thanks for the
all the great music. We're still enjoying it.
Keep on rolling down that HIGHWAY!
All my best, Howard L

Subject: re: Dogs

Hi Shari!
Well, Ronnie and I did..Clifford and Sam stayed home to give out doggie biscuits. :-)

[October] [December]
Last Revised: 9 December 2000